Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a Good Setup for Back up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bjett

bjett

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

I have multiple computers at my house and an external HD connected to my router. I have set up my external HD as a network drive to store all of my files in one place creating one Documents, photos etc folders. I know I can set it up to where it backs up these folders from my computers to the HD, but I want one central place to access individual files. I do not subscribe to any cloud services, so I do not have any cloud space big enough for all of my files. Is what I am doing the best set up? I just don't want to have multiple folders on different drives, and want to access the same things on all computers/devices. Also, I was wondering if I could create a backup of my HD to store on each device in case something happens to my external I can restore it from one of the computers. The backup can be just a back up restore point, and not individual files (Sorry I know that is not the technical term I am looking for, but I don't know how else to describe what my aim is).

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2018 - 01:44 PM.
Moved from Networking to Backup - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

Consider if the network drive broke completely, then any kind of restore won't work, what you need then is a duplicate of the files. 

The safest thing would be to backup the entire network drive to a secondary drive (another external drive or just a copy of the files on one of your computers) once every now and then. If your drive crashes you can just get the files from the other drive. 

However, I'm not a pro at these kind of questions but from what I know, this is probably the way to go if you don't want to go for a cloud storage and have files that are irreplaceable. 

The drawback would be if a virus wiped the drive and the virus was also backed up to the other drive, so make sure to do a scan of the files before you transfer them.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

The issue with keeping all of your files in one place is you have one point of failure. Best Practice is the 321 strategy. 3 Copies, 2 Different Storage types (Cloud, physical, Tape, internal/external) 1 kept offsite (cloud storage, safe deposit box, Office Drawer). You can use Google Drive or Dropbox for free depending on how much data you have for backup storage. Veeam Endpoint for Windows is free and allows you to backup to an external drive, network location, or cloud provider (Ex:Amazon S3). Carbonite is a highly recommended paid cloud backup service. I use both of these along with Cloudberry Server backup on some of my networks. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

I think having backups on two usb external hard-drives along with the Cloud backup will be enough.  Those usb ext HDs can be disconnected when not in use either backing up or restoring.  I have mine in a house safe holding papers and pancake drives.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users