Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does KB4090007 support the Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.2GHz LGA1151 CPU?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, running on an Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.2GHz LGA1151 processor, and have read this Security article at BC (Microsoft Partners with Intel to Deliver CPU Microcode Fixes via Windows Updates).

Consequently, if possible, I would like to install the KB4090007 update in order to mitigate the Spectre Variant 2 vulnerability (CVE 2017-5715 [Branch Target Injection]).

I already have mitigation for the Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754) and Spectre Variant 1 (CVE-2017-5753) vulnerabilities, and use the InSpectre vulnerabilities check tool for reference.

My motherboard is an ASRock Z170 EXTREME7+ LGA1151 ATX, and unfortunately, it does not look like the vendor will provide any BIOS/UEFI updates any time soon.

The Microsoft update article points out: "Consult with your device manufacturer’s and Intel’s websites regarding their microcode recommendation for your device before applying this update to your device."

As such, I would like to be certain of the compatibility between the said update and my CPU before I apply the former so as to not wreck my system. :)

And hence, my question is;

Does KB4090007 support the Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.2GHz LGA1151 CPU?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

This Microsoft Support article should answer your questions.  If it does not, please refine your questions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi, dc3!

Thank you very much for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Prior to installing mitigation for the Meltdown and Spectre Variant 1 vulnerabilities, even though it was not absolutely necessary, I manually ran the QualityCompat registry file being provided by BC.

Shortly thereafter, luckily my Emsisoft Anti-Malware quickly announced being compatible with those mitigations, and I suppose that goes for this time as well.

I do not think I have to edit the registry prior to downloading and installing the Spectre Variant 2 mitigation update now too, as this is being automatically done.

I will try to install this said update tomorrow, so please bear with me until then.

Thank you! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 March 2018 - 04:45 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Hi again, dc3!

I have now installed the said update, and as such, I now have active mitigation against the Meltdown, Spectre Variant 1 and Spectre Variant 2 vulnerabilities! Good riddance! :smash:

And InSpectre reports:

System is Meltdown protected: YES

System is Spectre protected: YES

Performance: GOOD

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi again, dc3!

Yes, and I am glad Intel decided to partner with Microsoft in order to deliver the said update, because otherwise, this would literally have been impossible.

Regards,
midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users