Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Avast files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

While updating CCleaner, I accidentally installed Avast.  After doing a normal uninstall and then running Avast's avastclear.exe, I am still left with a number of files which I cannot remove because of TrustedInstaller (see attachment).  My computer seems to be operating fine but I hate programs that leave junk on my computer!

Should I just ignore it or pursue getting rid of these.Attached File  AvastLeftovers.jpg   117.68KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

Those files are in the WinSxS folder and therefore Windows will not let you delete them. WinSxS constantly grows in size so these few avast files will not cause problems.You can attempt to remove them by using Disk Cleanup. I would not recommend using the DISM command for only removing the avast files.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-winsxs-folder-to-save-space?i10c.mark_type_refresh=2

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Download and run the AVAST uninstall Utility to remove all remnants of this antivirus.

Download Avast Software Uninstall Utility

If you have made previous attempts to remove AVAST you may need to reinstall it to be able to remove it with the uninstall utility.

Edited by dc3, 03 March 2018 - 01:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

dc, The OP already ran avastclear.exe which is the avast uninstaller BC links to. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

dc, The OP already ran avastclear.exe which is the avast uninstaller BC links to. 

What can you expect from a hen pecked husband who is being harassed because I will not go out and shovel the snow out of our yard, not the driveway, not the sidewalk... the yard! :woot:

I'm guilty, I was asleep at the wheel. :whistle:   

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

What can you expect from a hen pecked husband who is being harassed because I will not go out and shovel the snow out of our yard, not the driveway, not the sidewalk... the yard! :woot:

I'm guilty, I was asleep at the wheel. :whistle:   

:hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Hi, goes to show how much gets left behind even using the AV's own uninstaller. It takes around 30 mins for an expert to clean avast from a system, (registry only), even after the AV's uninstall util has been run.

Takes much longer if the winsxs avast entries were not mass converted to grant access to the admin account, (they are currently owned by trusted installer), then they can be deleted. To do this you need "grant admin full control"  a registry modification particularly handy for this type of problem. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

@jenae, I would be interested in this registry mode.

#9 johnsig

johnsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Those files are in the WinSxS folder and therefore Windows will not let you delete them. WinSxS constantly grows in size so these few avast files will not cause problems.You can attempt to remove them by using Disk Cleanup. I would not recommend using the DISM command for only removing the avast files.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-winsxs-folder-to-save-space?i10c.mark_type_refresh=2

I will definitely try Disk Cleanup.  Not sure about DISM command. The referenced article refers to three commands to be entered at the command prompt but shows them all as "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup"  How can you enter the same command to perform thee different actions?  no wonder I get confused.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

That article regarding DISM is confusing. The first command is the one shown in the image. AnalyzeComponentStore. The last command is for deleting updates is shown in the Microsoft link. Do not use it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanupis

I would not recommend it but continue to follow jenae's advice.

Edit. If you want to see what avast left in the registry you can download Regscanner and use avast for a search. Don't delete them. This is just for your reference.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 March 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi, johnsig!

Sorry to chime in, but if you would like to happily download any Piriform program in the future, I would recommend clicking on the Builds link at the lower part of the Download screen, and select the zipped version, which does not include anything extra such as you outlined.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Hi, johnsig!

Sorry to chime in, but if you would like to happily download any Piriform program in the future, I would recommend clicking on the Builds link at the lower part of the Download screen, and select the zipped version, which does not include anything extra such as you outlined.

The direct link to the builds page from the main downloads pages only exists for Recuva and Defraggler now.

Unfortunately Piriform have removed the builds page link for CCleaner from the main CCleaner download page.

Instead you have to go to it from this link.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Hi, opera!

Thanks, I stand corrected on that, as it is a while since I downloaded any other Piriform program than Recuva and Speecy, because I neither need CCleaner nor Defraggler (I have an SSD).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 March 2018 - 06:47 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#14 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

Hi again, johnsig!

And another way to safely delete the said files, is to start your computer in Safe Mode, in which TrustedInstaller does not run by default, and as such will not interfere with the deletion.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows10

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#15 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

You can also use Autoruns which is my preferred method.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users