Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zalophus

Zalophus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I have decided to start using a VPN service for my off site surfing, with my IPad and my Android phone.

I use an wired Win 10 PC, Desktop at home.

I  get 190 Gbps Down and 10Gbps Up from my ISP.

I have ASUS RT-AC56U router with latest Merlin firmware, which has OPEN VPN Server capability.

My questions are, do I :

1.Sign up for one of the prepackaged plans, using their Servers;

or

2.Activate my router as an OPEN VPN Server, 

or

3.Use an older Win 10 PC I have and set it up as a stand alone WIN 10  PPTP VPN server.

Most important to me is improving my off site security and maintaining as high an off site download speed as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

Download speeds take a hit when using a VPN, but here is a link to set up your own OpenVPN server 

Edited by STS-1, 22 March 2018 - 01:39 AM.

#3 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:41 AM

Or you can google "top VPN services" and look at the features of each to determine what is important to you. Keep in mind many media streaming services like Netflix are blacklisting the most popular VPNs. Stay away from PPTP as Open VPN is a better protocol IMO

Edited by STS-1, 22 March 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#4 helengrin

helengrin

• Banned Spammer
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:17 AM

I prefer to use NordVPN. I found info about it in one Anta NET article about top vpn for china. I used it in my last trip to China and it worked perfect. Now I use it almost everywhere when I need to bypass the restrictions and hide my ip. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users