Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se font size stuck on "small"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 littleberry

littleberry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

I had to re-install windows 98se on my old Soltek PC and it required me to change the font size to "small" in order to run the Internet Connection Wizard.  I did that, using the Display>General>Advanced screen where one of your selectable buttons is a choice between "small" (the default), "large", and "other".  I have used "large" for many years, but I complied and changed it to "small" so I could use the Internet Connection Wizard (from clicking "properties" for the Internet Explorer option from the "Programs" pop-up from the Start button. 

After getting connected to the internet (lots of trouble there, but, finally got connected), I wanted to change the font size back to "large", but when I go back into DIsplay>General>Advanced I see that the option to change the font size is grayed out, and there is no way to change it back to "large".   Has anyone ever ran into this before?  I can live with it, athough I have to squint and use a magnifier (or use window's magnifier) in order to read the script from several old PC programs that use the windows fonts for their text.  I KNOW for a fact that large fonts are possible because up until my prior windows 98se system crashed on me, I had been using large fonts for over 15 years!  All I did was re-install widows 98se just exactly like I did back in 2003, but this pesky small font size hangup nags at me.  Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

If you change sreen size to another resolution does it allow you to change font size to large? If it does leave the font size at large then change your resolution back to your default.

#3 littleberry

littleberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

THAT WORKED!  

Thank you, John.

I changed the display resolution to a finer grade and then it removed the grayed out line-window and offered me "large" as well as "other". 

I selected "large" and then "apply" and it told me it needed to reboot - when I came back up, I changed the display reolution back to my normal rez and the font size was "large" and it still offered me "small" or "other". 

I am so glad I fouind this website - I have TWO old PC's still running win98 and I hope to visit here more often - there are good reasons to hang in there with win98se (mostly because simple things run faster and on PC's that are slow and skimpy on memory and disk size), plus there are some old 16-bit programs that just WON'T run on windows 7.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Your Welcome,

Thanks for posting and update.

Just an FYI. I would not recommend you use Windows 98 for doing any online banking or purchases. There are just too many security issues with it although I doubt much malware is written for it today. If you use Wifi then I doubt the protocol is anything other than WEP or WPA.  These two protocols can easily be hacked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users