Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Use is always 100%

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 pn12

pn12

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hello

I have an HP Notebook, which I've had for about 18 months, running Windows 10.  The entire time I've had it, once it starts up, the Disk Use will go straight to 100%, with zero programs open.  Then it just stays there.  Sometimes, after being on for a few hours, the Disk Use will go down to something reasonable.   But it never lasts for long.  I've looked around for various solutions over the last year, but nothing has worked.  And truthfully, I don't have  a good recollection of what I've even done at this point.    The computer is always making noise and always running slow, and it's very frustrating.   Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

Please perform a Windows 10 Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

dc3,

Do you know if Reset has been altered to include "Keep my apps & files"?   I keep hoping that's going to appear, as it's an option when Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  I have never been able to understand why that option is not part of Reset (or at least wasn't).

One of the reasons I have avoided doing resets is because I have too much time invested in the installation of a raft of third-party programs that get nuked if you use either the "Wipe everything" option [which, of course, one should expect] or the "Keep my files" option.

As an aside, I think we're also only a few short weeks away from the release of Version 1803.  If the OP isn't in a time crunch for a solution, and actually would prefer what amounts to a Reset with "Keep my apps & files," it would be worth considering waiting until it goes live then using the above noted method to do the upgrade.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

The Windows 10 Reset has always included the ability to keep your personal files.  The only things you will lose are your third party programs that are installed.

At the rate that Microsoft is producing functional updates, or the lack there of, I would just as soon do the reset now.

Edited by dc3, 03 March 2018 - 02:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,704 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

The Windows 10 Reset has always included the ability to keep your personal files.  The only things you will lose are your third party programs that are installed.

Which I stated, explicitly.   What I'm trying to determine is whether the "Keep files & apps" feature has been rolled into Reset yet.

I am presuming, based upon your response, that it most likely has not.  It's a mystery as to why not since it's been a part of the feature update process forever and there's no reason it couldn't be part of reset (for a grand total of three options:  wipe everything, keep personal files, keep personal files and apps).  I also find it interesting that they don't use "Keep personal files & apps," for consistency.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I think Microsoft thinks that if the actually made sense it would scare us. :hysterical:

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

have you done any malware scans?  malwarebytes is good, but you also need to do some others.  in the download section of this website are links to:

RKill & ADWCleaner.  i suggest you run both of them rkill first and then adwcleaner.

let us know if they detect anything.  if adwcleaner does find infections then after the machine reboots run it again. and keep running it until it finds nothing.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

What I'm trying to determine is whether the "Keep files & apps" feature has been rolled into Reset yet.

My apologies, to the best of my knowledge the option to save the third party programs has not occurred, and I suspect that it will not be.  If this was a possibility I would hope that Microsoft would have included this option.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

Since the computer is always making noise, consider having HP diagnose the hard drive.

On my HP laptop, I can press ESC during boot up and get into having the hard drive analyze the hard drive w/o booting into Windows.

--- It doesn’t mean that noise is always related to a hard drive problem but it’s an easy test to try if that method is available on your model.

--- I just ran this on my laptop to see how long it takes because it's been a long time since I had used it: it took 1 hour 15 min.

Edited by cmptrgy, 05 March 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#10 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:55 AM

Open up a run dialog by holding down the Windows Key and pressing R. In the "Open" field, enter "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Since the computer is always making noise, consider having HP diagnose the hard drive.

On my HP laptop, I can press ESC during boot up and get into having the hard drive analyze the hard drive w/o booting into Windows.

--- It doesn’t mean that noise is always related to a hard drive problem but it’s an easy test to try if that method is available on your model.

--- I just ran this on my laptop to see how long it takes because it's been a long time since I had used it: it took 1 hour 15 min.

I also have an HP desktop computer but it doesn't access the hard drive diagnostic in the same manner as the laptop computer does.

Pressing F10 during start-up goes into the BIOS setup, selecting the storage tab and then running the DPS Self-Test does the job. It only took 7 minutes for this one to run.

If neither one of the above options are available on your computer, please post your make/model. We can look up the hard drive diagnostic procedure by accessing the manual for your system.

There are other HDD diagnostics that can be used but the built in-tests do not have to boot into Windows so in your case you wouldn't have to wait for the 2 hour time frame you mentioned before it settles down.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

Open up a run dialog by holding down the Windows Key and pressing R. In the "Open" field, enter "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

Understanding the Prefetch Folder

There are often claims that deleting the Prefetch folder actually results in less boot-up time and more free memory. The reasons for this vary-for example, some experts claim that Windows loads Prefetch information for all of the programs you’ve ever started on your computer into memory automatically, filling your RAM with unused data (this is not true.) These experts recommend deleting the contents of “Windows\Prefetch” on a regular basis, to keep your memory free from unused data. Ouch! Two reasons:

1. If you don’t run a program, Windows does not access the Prefetch information.

2. Windows maintains a maximum of 128 entries in the Prefetch folder. It cleans itself automatically.

If you actually delete the Prefetch folder, here’s what you should really expect to happen: Windows and applications will need noticeably more time to start, as the Prefetch data needs to be collected again. The entire performance of your system will slow down.

The above information is a direct quote from the Microsoft Community.

#13 pn12

pn12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

First, thank you very much for all the help.  Since it was fastest, easiest thing to do, I ran a scan of the hard disk.   It didn't show any problems.  So I will likely restart Windows 10 on Wednesday, and follow the other directions.   Again, thank you very much.   

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hi, a comment on prefetch (superfetch).

On a computer with resources designed to run windows ten prefetch should be left on. It can be easily accommodated and will cause no problems, generally it will do what the PR article from MS said. It does leave 32 of the most used processes behind even when it purges from 128, this is of no concern.  

What is missing is that the process does use resources, it is happening in stages and even if you don't run a program it will not be in prefetch when you do run a program prefetch will use resources to check if it is in prefetch or not, first.

As a measure to improve machines, that barely make the win 10 grade, turning off prefetch will save some precious resources, so it is often recommended.

In Forensic computer science the Prefetch file is a very useful informational util.

#15 pn12

pn12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

Hello,

I did the reset, but it hasn't appeared to help.  Still 99%, no matter how few programs are running.   

I've run Speccy, and the results are posted below.  I think.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QShauNokXoks8SZTLZF6gAR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users