Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you confirm the 'fit' of a CPU heatsink before placing an order?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

......assuming the suppler isn't going to test this for me.

I have no problems reading the spec sheets of the MOBO & Heatsink to pair up a compatible fit but lets rewind back to a few years ago.......

I built a new PC & 'on paper' everything was right. In reality, the MOBO has this one monster component (a large capacitor maybe) right next to the CPU socket. This stopped the heatsink from going into the it's socket on 1 corner. I tried all the rotations & it didn't fit. I had to go through 3 heatsinks to find one that would fit. Time consuming due to having to send back the heatsink before the supplier would send a replacement.

Now I could tell you the motherboard I'm looking at getting (Gigabyte Z370 HD3) but this could change at any time & I still haven't picked heatsink & fan. Are there any techniques you use to determine the fit of a heatsink to avoid the situation I was in previously?

Please keep in mind this happened in 2010 so I'm hoping these design flaws are not longer an issue anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

These days motherboards share a lot of commonalities so no need to worry about cooler compatibility as much.

And heatsinks can be mounted in many ways, its more the heatsink nowadays then the motherboard.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

Read reviews for any particular motherboard, if it has issues with fitting a heatsink I'm sure others will be making comments on that problem too

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

There are actually design specs set by Intel & AMD for the maximum allowable height of components within a certain distance of the CPU socket.  It's possible if you had a motherboard with components which interfered with the fitting of multiple heatsinks that particular board manufacturer ignored the guidelines. 

Something that is commonly a problem (with large tower style coolers) is heatsinks that overhang RAM slots, which can cause issues with RAM with tall heat spreaders.  As the heat spreaders are more for effect than anything, I normally avoid any modules with oversized fins etc.  Certain heatsinks get around this by offsetting the design further towards the back of the case (examples being things like the Scythe Mugen Rev. 5, Thermalright Macho etc).

I'd suggest checking out review sites for any particular heatsink you are looking at, because the reviewers will usually comment on whether they have any fitting issues, block RAM slots, etc, and include installation photos which can be helpful.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Great, thanks guys, I'll pick some heatsinks & read the reviews :)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

As long as you do not have real tall ram most all will fit!

Most vendors list the processors that each will fit there are a few variations.

Edited by OldPhil, 06 March 2018 - 05:44 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:48 AM

Read reviews for any particular motherboard, if it has issues with fitting a heatsink I'm sure others will be making comments on that problem too

+1! <_<

If the cooler is listed on Newegg (or Amazon), you can always ask the question & get some good feedback. This is how I've made purchase decisions for CPU coolers and so far have been lucky. One PC was really picky, a XPS 8700, had to settle for a Cooler Master cooler over my preferred Noctua, the fan had a rattle that annoyed me. So purchased a Noctua PWM fan of the same size as a replacement & used silicone washers with the mounting bolts to convert the removed fan into an intake one, where there was a place, but no fan. Am a happy camper now, here's the purchased cooler. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103084

Don't hesitate for a minute to ask questions, that's what the Q&A section is for. Most can judge correct answers from those blowing smoke. Example, for the item above, one buyer stated that the cooler fit his XPS 8700. That's what you want to hear about your MB. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users