Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need 16GB of DDR3 ram, should I wait or buy now?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Do you all think the price of x2 8GB kits of DDR3 will go up in value?  Some factors I'm considering are they will make less of them and also crytominors driving up the cost of ram in general.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Who knows what will happen in the future? If you need it now, get it and enjoy the benefit of having it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Who knows what will happen in the future? If you need it now, get it and enjoy the benefit of having it.

I don't really need it now but the way things are going I don't want to have any regrets.  I just hate wasting money.  There's 3 computers I want to upgrade so it will add up.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

Traditionally as the generations move from one to the next, the new generation ramps down in price and the passing generation ramps up with reduced production. But trying to predict future price movements is never easy.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

Memory is cheap on Ebay if you are willing to search the ads.

I find good deals on DDR2 & DDR3 memory pulled from working systems.

Although matched pairs of memory are preferred mixed memory works fine together.

I've never had a problem with any used memory I have gotten from Ebay.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 eliasgusta

eliasgusta

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

i went from 8gb to 32gb and i can tell you it was well worth it and i am making use of it all 

if you don't really need it only you can know but prices are higher now than what they were 5 years ago

you could find cheap used ones memory almost never breaks down

i also imagine ddr3 will be obsolete in a few years, ddr5 is planned to release next year

yeEz5m0.png

#7 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Memory is cheap on Ebay if you are willing to search the ads.

I find good deals on DDR2 & DDR3 memory pulled from working systems.

Although matched pairs of memory are preferred mixed memory works fine together.

I've never had a problem with any used memory I have gotten from Ebay.

i went from 8gb to 32gb and i can tell you it was well worth it and i am making use of it all 

if you don't really need it only you can know but prices are higher now than what they were 5 years ago

you could find cheap used ones memory almost never breaks down

i also imagine ddr3 will be obsolete in a few years, ddr5 is planned to release next year

yeEz5m0.png

I just got a good deal using best offer on Ebay for 16GB (x2 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 for $85 shipped with a 30 day return guarantee.  Also, G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 PC3 10600 using best offer for $100 shipped with a 30 day return guarantee.  For some reason PC3 10600 is more expensive than the higher speed ram but I'm pretty happy with the prices I got especially for G.Skill which I've had good luck with.

The 3rd computer I wanted to upgrade I guess really doesn't need more than 8GB so I'll just keep that as is.  Once I upgraded the other two computers, I'm going to sell off the the leftover ram and see if I can get some money back.

Edited by Loonmario, 03 March 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Last night I went on Ebay checking the prices on the ram that is in my tower, they do not seem to have gone up in fact a couple were a bit less the what I originally paid.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users