Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Upgrade from windows 7 Begin_First_Boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cybershell12

cybershell12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

I've been trying to upgrade my computer to windows 10 for months now but haven't been able. I've tried at least 15 times trying every item on the list

that every place i've checked at the same time. I've searched for a total of at least 12 hours at least these past few months. Nothing seems to be working

At 30% the computer restarts. Then the install fails with "Error during the FIRST_BOOT phase during the BEGIN_FIRST_BOOT operation, almost as soon as the percentage starts to appear again. I am usually very good with computers and trying to figure out what is wrong but this is absolutely ridiculous. I've attached the Panther log to this post. My motherboard apparently does not "officially" support windows but I've seen at least two instance of someone successfully upgrading on the very same motherboard on the web (neither of the solutions that worked for them worked for me)

Motherboard is 

ASUS M5A58L-M LX PLUS

I hope someone here can help me.

(if this is in the worng forums please move it)

Edited by cybershell12, 02 March 2018 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Hello cybershell12,

Motherboard is 
ASUS M5A58L-M LX PLUS

Got a link to that particular model of board, I can only seem to get specs for a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS

Couple of questions if I may, how are you trying to install Windows 10, as an upgrade from Windows 7 or from an ISO or USB thumb drive and does the computer boot into the present Windows 7 OS without any problem.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Where did you acquire the installation media?

Did you run a scan on your hdd to see if there are any issues with it?

Please do the following to determine the health of your hdd.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows  If you can successfully boot into the BIOS you will be able to boot from this disk.  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that which ever type of media is used it will be the first device in the boot order, the second device should be the hdd.  When you make these changes in the BIOS press the F10 key to save these changes before exiting the BIOS.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

I'm guessing that you haven't made any hardware changes recently?

I'm also guessing that you can't boot into a operating system at this time?

If you know what graphics and CPU you are running please post this information.  Once we get this computer to the point that it will boot into Windows we can run other scans which will provide us with other information we may need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cybershell12

cybershell12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

It automatically restores windows 7 and undoes windows 10 installation every time installation fails without problem so i can boot no problem in windows 7 (which is why i was wondering in which section of the forums to put it on (windows 7? windows 10? Upgrades(which seems to be only for hardware upgrades)?. I just can't install Windows 10. And sorry, i did make a typo, it is as PhillPower2 says the motheboard is actually M5A78L-M LX PLUS. Cinq(5) and Sept(7) sound very similar in my native Québécois French, and i've misremembered 5 as 7 and vice versa many times over. Last Hardware change was about 4 years ago. I once sucessfully installed windows 8 but reverted to windows 7 because of windows 8 shortcomingsThe processor is an AMD FX 6300 Six-Core at stock clock speed of 3.5 Ghz, never overclocked. I have 8gb of Ram and a my GPU is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. My system is actually installed on the D drive. My Iso is the latest non-developpement x64, build 1709 downloaded from directly from microsoft's site. The scan passed! Awaiting instructions!

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:27 AM

Windows 10 should install ok if Win 8 did , maybe a Clean Install is needed.

But before that , we can help further maybe a Speccy Report will shed some light -  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Also a screen shot of your Partitions from Computer Managment / Disk Managment .

#6 cybershell12

cybershell12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

Partitions Image  https://i.imgur.com/ccGoY5h.png

Speccy Report (Just ignore the long string of ip adresses as i was torrenting).

Edited by cybershell12, 05 March 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

You need to go back to the "Speccy" in your pastebin and remove your Windows Product code.  If you had followed the instructions you would have right clicked in reply box after completing the last step in the instructions and pasted the Speccy link there.  With this link members can simply click on it and view the report without needing to open another website.  Would you loaded in the pastebin is not the same information which is normally included in a Speccy Snapshot, the version you chose shows your Windows Product Code.  I would suggest removing this from your pastebin image.  

Are you aware that you can left click on a image in your Imgur account and select BBCode (message boards & forums) Copy, copy this and paste it in your topic.  This will post the image in your topic reply where you can click on the image to enlarge it making easier for members to see.

Attached File  imgur.PNG   95.28KB   0 downloads

Edited by dc3, 05 March 2018 - 09:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cybershell12

cybershell12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

i removed the link (i cannot deleted as i wasn't connected to my pastebin account when i made it) but there should be no problem as i set it to unlisted

and i verified that internet archive did not have this page archived and i did so after removing the link. i am very sorry for misreading the information, i had never used speccy before. here is the actual snapshot http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HtZsHwXYTvj1s0HwPElyw0B

and here is the image posted more conveniantly. I am truly sorry, i will read more carefully next time.

ccGoY5h.png

Edited by cybershell12, 05 March 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

Wow!  What a difference in access. :thumbup2:

Why is your C: drive connected via USB rather than being installed in the case and connected directly to the motherboard?  Installing the operating system would be quicker and I suspect easier if the drive is connected directly to the motherboard rather than a USB connection.

By the way, your motherboard is the ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS, not the M5A58L-M.

Where did you get the installation media for this installation?

Edited by dc3, 05 March 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#10 cybershell12

cybershell12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

My D: drive is the system drive which is directly connected to the motherboard because of previous windows 8 instalation which i reverted about 2 weeks after because i find that it sucked and me not being a well versed in computers at the time (was a little over 3 years ago i think) . the C: drive is an external non-system hard drive which i use for storing my many gigabytes of games that i turn off when not using it. I used the tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 to create an iso (i had previously tried making a bootable usb, with the same tool but i had the exact same error installing windows 10) I cannot use dvd's as my dvd drive is busted an is not connected to the motherboard.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

When you went to make the installation did you change the boot order in the BIOS?

You need to change the boot order so that the device being used to install the operating system is the first device in the boot order. Ex:  if the installation media is on a DVD you should have an option for using the DVD-ROM option, or USB for a flash drive, then the second device in the boot order should be the ssd/hdd.

#12 cybershell12

cybershell12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Yes. I also tried installing from the extracted ISO.

EDIT: i've lost my 8gb usb key, and the most plausible place it's located at is at my school, but i'm on spring break. so cannot use neither dvd nor usb key.

Edited by cybershell12, 05 March 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

In my last post I suggested that you may need to change the boot order so that the type of installation media (disk or flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.  Did you do this?

If there isn't enough free space on the hdd for the installation of Windows 10 (16GB) Windows will stop the installation.  So far it looks like the installation fails at or around the same percentage of the installation.  This drive has a capacity of 227.97GB with 23.77GB of free space.  This means that you would only have ~7GB of free space.  With a hdd of this size you should have ~ 15% free space.  A hdd needs this free space (swap space), otherwise read and write times get larger and slower.

Then the install fails with "Error during the FIRST_BOOT phase during the BEGIN_FIRST_BOOT operation, almost as soon as the percentage starts to appear again.

Were any of the errors below shown when the installation failed?

0x80070070 – 0x50011, 0x80070070 – 0x50012, or 0x80070070 – 0x60000

Edited to add:  You could try moving some of the content on this drive to another to create more free space and see if this resolves the installation problem.

Edited by dc3, 07 March 2018 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users