Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten Windows password plus problem with Lazesoft

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Please help. 

These are the issues: My husband sucks at keeping up with his passwords. I usually keep up with them for him, but he changed the one on my children's homeschool computer to something that he forgot before I could even get it from him.  He did know the pin code, though, so we had been relying on that.

(This is a local account on the computer, it is not associated with any microsoft online account)

I went to get some malware off of this computer that my kids had downloaded, and I went to go into safe mode using msconfig.  When I did that and restarted, it switched off of the pin code and back to the password at the login, which no one knows.  I tried to turn on the network, but it still doesn't want to switch me back to the pin code.

I looked up how I can wipe the computer, and that's something I can do but I haven't tried it yet because I think  there are few pictures on this computer that I would like to retrieve first if possible.

I google searched and learned of a "free" program that would reset the password. I carefully followed the instructions burned a cd using another available computer.  I went into the bios on the locked computer and switched the  computer to the cd as priority boot. Everything was going according to plan. the locked computer  booted to the CD. I could see all my accounts including the hidden administrator account.  I was getting excited. I went to click it.  A window popped up saying something along the lines of, "Oh, by the way, you have to pay to unlock them. The free trial version only shows the logins to you." :angry:

I am all for supporting programmers and paying for a well designed program that I need, but I  can not STAND when they use shady tactics such as this. I may have been willing to pay for the program if they had have made the costs apparent from the beginning, instead of mascarading as freeware when it was not.   I made it my determination not to pay them.  If I have to pay for a different program, fine.  But I won't reward this particular company for this strategy.  Like what would even be the purpose of just showing the logins and that's it?

It was at this point that I remembered bleepingcomputer.   I did some forum search and learned about lazesoft.  I downloaded it to this other available computer.  When I went to go try to burn a CD, a window entitled "Bootable Media Builder" keeps popping up saying saying "Incorrect image file path". 

I went to the store and bought a flash drive, since I didn't have one.  Lazesoft was able to burn to the flash drive just fine.  However, the locked computer refuses to boot up from the flash drive. I went into the bios and changed the boot priority to the usb. I tried all the usb slots on the computer. None of them work.

So it looks like this locked computer will only boot up using a CD.  But Lazesoft won't burn a CD. and I do think it's an issue with Lazesoft because the other scammish company I had downloaded previously burned a CD just fine, which worked on the locked computer.

Searching information on the phrase "Incorrect image file path" is not giving me any information on what this could mean or how to fix it, so I'm at the end of my road and asking for help.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

The computer most likely has SecureBoot enabled if it came pre-installed or was upgraded from Windows 8. This needs to be disabled before Lazesoft can boot. 

According to Lazesoft it will create a CD/DVD. I created one with Lazesoft and did not have a problem. But, it should also give you an option to create an iso file. Use Rufus with the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Start Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box then click the box and select iso image. Click the icon and browse to the iso file Lazesoft created. Press Start. If it fails to boot with SecureBoot disabled use GPT partition scheme in the first dropdown box and do the steps again.

If the computer is a Dell tap F12 at boot with the USB flash drive attached. If an HP then tap F9 at boot. This will let you select the boot device.

You can download Lazesoft Home direct instead of through Cnet.

http://www.lazesoft.com/downloads/lsrmphdsetup.exe

#3 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

Thanks so much for trying to help me

If you mean Secure Boot on the locked computer, I think I had to disable that in the bios in order to change it to make it boot to the CD.  (I'd have to look again to make sure that was the name of it, but I think that was it.  It wouldn't let me change boot priority until I did that).

I see the option for lazesoft to create a CD, so I assume this options completes successfully for some people, but it keeps saying "Incorrect image file path" when I try to use it.

I also see the option for lazesoft to create the USB flash, that seems to complete without a problem for me.

I also see the option for ISO image.  It also keeps saying "Incorrect image file path", both when I try to navigate to the CD drive and as well as when I try to navigate to the flash drive.

So, I let lazesoft create it using the USB Flash option, since that option seems to have complete successfully for me.

then I followed your instructions for Rufus.  When I select  ISO image and select the icon, and navigate to the flash drive, it finds no iso image files.

Edited by ADHDqueen, 02 March 2018 - 07:54 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

You get the iso error because Lazesoft never downloaded the iso file. I am not sure why you get the incorrect image file path error. I will have to download the program again but does the program ask you what OS is on the target computer? You selected Windows 10, correct?

This video may help until I can determine why you got that error. What OS is on the computer you are trying to use Lazesoft on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4_QrlkmAI

#5 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

I select the "same as this computer" option, since both of them have windows 10. I'll go back and try to select windows 10 specifically and see what happens.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

I successfully created the iso file for a Windows 10 64bit OS. I then burned the iso file to a CD and was able to boot it. If you have trouble creating the iso file I can upload the iso to Dropbox and PM you the link so you can download it and use Rufus to create a bootable iso file or you can burn the iso to a CD/DVD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

#7 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

Lazesoft emailed me from my response when I uninstalled it. (I tried uninstalling it and pausing the avast antivirus and reinstalling, because this had solved a previous unrelated vague enigmatic issue on this computer in the past, when trying to download something, but it didn't help this issue.)

so far they only told me the same steps I already tried.

I would appreciate it so much if you could do this thing with Dropbox. I forgot exactly how it works, but I can figure it out. I do have an account.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Look at your PM message center in the upper right of the screen. The small envelope. I will provide the link. Simply click the link in my PM and it will take you to the Dropbox page where you can download the iso file.  I don't have the fastest internet so it may be about 1/2 hour before you see a notice on the PM envelope.

#9 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Ok, thank you so much for your time.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

Your Welcome,

PM has been sent. Good Luck.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

Or you can download the ISO file straight from Microsoft;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Or you can download the ISO file straight from Microsoft;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Rocky, this was the Lazesoft Password Recovery iso I created for Windows 10, not a Windows 10 iso.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

^^^ Thanks, sorry!!!!! :lmao:

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Kofiko

Kofiko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

You can always use the method as outlined on the Winaero site which works every time so far

https://winaero.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-without-using-third-party-tools/

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

You can always use the method as outlined on the Winaero site which works every time so far

https://winaero.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-without-using-third-party-tools/

That's an awfully complicated way of resetting a password and it entails editing the registry which some people are not comfortable doing. A Windows 10 install disk is required which is a 3+ GB download. But thanks for posting another solution.

Lazesoft is a 30MB download with a small download depending on the target computer's OS. Also the password is reset with just a few mouse clicks.

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-windows-password.html

The ability to enable the hidden administrator account is also easily done.

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2018 - 07:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users