Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete recovery partition on HDD and remove partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ayupmiduck

ayupmiduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hi guys,

Long time since my last post as I have been living on chrome os for a number of years. Alas I bought a PC and did some upgrades including a new ssd. 

I managed to clone my hard drive and windows is now booting from the ssd. In doing so however I have managed to screw up the HDD. I now have a recovery partition, 300gb of unallocated space and a 'healthy volume' as my D: drive.

Any assistance would be warmly received to enable me to get rid of the recovery partition and have the whole HDD unpartitioned and available. I have been pulling my hair out. 

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by ayupmiduck, 02 March 2018 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

I can't see the image clearly but is there an approx 450MB recovery partition on Disk 1? Windows 10 creates this for the advanced boot options that are available should the computer not boot correctly. This normally is placed on the drive that holds Windows. Did you have Disk 1 attached when installing the OS to disk 0?

Also, the partition structure does not look normal for a newer computer. On newer UEFI computers you would have a EFI partition formatted FAT32 and not a System Reserved Partition. 

I am not sure what moving the Recovery Partition would do but I would keep it. You will need to use a partition manager like Partition Wizard. All steps are virtual and will not complete unless Apply is clicked.

I would do the following. 

Move the Recover Partition into the Unallocated Space by left clicking the Partition Bar and moving to the far left

Resize the Data partition by left clicking the left arrow of the Partition Bar and dragging to the far left

Click Apply.

As with all partition movements there is a risk involved and you should back up any data important to you. You could always backup the complete disk to a USB external using software like Macrium Free or Easeus Todo Backup Free

#3 ESmithE

ESmithE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:23 AM

I guess you can create a bootable media and delete the recovery partition without Windows if you cannot delete that partition under Windows environment. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users