Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Great Black Screen!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 golfman60

golfman60

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Have a Dell Optiplex GX 620 computer .While trying to solve a problem with yellow SM Buss controller, I was searching and directed to software GX620A10 to install. I installed it and started the installation process. Screen stated computer would shut down, flash the bios, and reboot. I hit the start button, computer shut down, started to boot made about 4 or 5 beeps and just set there. Now that's all it does, anyone have  a solution for a fix?

Edited by golfman60, 02 March 2018 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Dell Beep Codes.

Louis

#3 golfman60

golfman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Checked the beep codes you mentioned and it appears this code is different than any on the list. I've checked it several times to make sure I'm hearing it correctly and here's code: 1 long beep pause then 3 long beeps pause then 2 long beeps. Don't see any on the chart like that, your thoughts?

Edited by golfman60, 02 March 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

I don't know anything about Dell systems...better wait for someone with such.experience/familiarity.

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

computer would shut down, flash the bios, and reboot.

Most likely cause is a bad BIOS flash. I have had little experience with retail units that have a bad flash (I only build my units), but I suggest that you Google around and see what you come up with. You can try resetting the BIOS to back to default, it might work on an older BIOS chip but I would not put a lot of hope in it. At least you won't hurt anything.

Not to irritate you, but my experience with computers is to leave the BIOS alone unless there is an important reason a flash is necessary. Double-especially any of these programs that claim to do it for you automatically, including finding the correct flash download off the internet. Unfortunately, those that have their computer bricked by these cheesy outfits find that they will not help you if there is a problem, as in your case. Go on the Dell website and see if a flash for your unit is available from Dell; if it is not, then that is a strong indication that any other source will not be trustworthy. These retail manufacturers are not dependable on supporting old units, so hope for the best.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 golfman60

golfman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

Discussed this yesterday with a local computer guru and he said about the same thing only his recommendation was just replace the motherboard. Being this is an older unit,  boards I see are pretty cheap. Purchased a new one for 20 bucks. I'll install it and see what happens. Thanks for your input.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

Sure....sounds like a fun project! I am really in to restoring old units, I like the challenge. You will also learn a lot from doing it. Good luck, and post back with what happens.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 golfman60

golfman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Been gone for awhile but doing this on the Dell so things are fine for the moment. new board did the trick. Got a new project someone may have some input to put me on the right track. I also have an Asus unit that has gone belly-up. Has a bad board also. Board is a Asus CG5270 60-MIB8Q3-A02. I purchased one but it turned out to have 2 bad memory slots. I've returned it to the vendor but not sure he has another. Looked elsewhere but not much luck unless I purchase one that costs more than the computer is worth. Does anyone know of an exact reasonably priced replacement that will fit like the original? Thanks in advance for any input.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

I'm not 100% on this so you will need to do some more research but I think the Asus CG5270 60-MIB8Q3-A02 is equivalent to the ASUS P5QL-VM EPU.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLVM_EPU/

Ebay listing

The OS may not activate if the MBs are not identical.

#10 golfman60

golfman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

They sure look identical but I'll do some research and see if they are compatible. Thanks a bunch for your input. Anyone out there interchanged these boards?

Thanks

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

If nobody responds an email to ASUS tech support should confirm if the boards can be swapped.

#12 golfman60

golfman60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Thanks again, I'll check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users