Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Blocked Everywhere........

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OHH

OHH

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

I am trying to download the Autoruns by Sysinternals, and I get blocked. When I try to click on the link, I get a page that says "The page cannot be found." What is happening? Is there a way that I can begin using your advice and get past this problem? I can't play any video clips on http://video.google.com. I go to http://update.microsoft.com and I get a page that says.....

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A1391) yourself. "

Then when I choose "Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)" I get......

"What problem are you having with Windows Update?

• On the Windows Update site, you are not given the option to scan or the scan fails

• The update cannot be downloaded or the download freezes

• The update cannot be installed or the installation freezes

• After you install the updates, the computer does not operate correctly

• Other issues "

Then I choose the first item that says "(I) am not given the option to scan..."

Then I get...........

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. " plus other information.

This just began happening lately, and I don't know what I did. Restore doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm not going back far enough, or that is not the issue at all.

Anyways, I just wanted to give you enough information that I can expose my error or the problem.

I am using Zone Labs Security Suite, but when I check, I can't see why they would flag Microsoft update. Does this make sense?

Thanks,

OHH

//Mod edit: Moved post to more appropriate forum//

Edited by KoanYorel, 02 October 2006 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

Others have had a similar problem. Recommend you disconnect from internet and shut down all ZA programs and stop from starting at startup. Restart the computer and make sure that Windows firewall is working. Reconnect to internet and check if you still have the problem.
If the above doesn't solve the problem then check to see that you have the latest Java 5.0 update 9 and flash player 9.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 OHH

OHH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thank you, I will try it in the next 24 hours. Nice to receive help. I'm hoping one day to return the favor to the next guy! :thumbsup:

OHH

#4 OHH

OHH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Worked.

At first I tried to just shut down the firewall and use Microsofts. That didn't work. I went back and reread your post, and you said to turn it all off. I did, and it worked. The problem wasn't (or wasn't limited to) the firewall. It was somewhere else. I couldn't add trusted sites in IE (Tools-Internet Options-Security-Trusted Sites) to have Google video or MS updates to work. Both were rejected, which scared me. I thought that I must have something bad, but after shutting down the whole thing and rebooting like you said, then everything worked.

What a relief. I believe that there is more to do, but at least I can follow recommendations now.

What do I do with ZoneAlarm? I have to search through their log (something like this, but with a focus on their product), and I tried, but can't seem to navigate well through their place (or ours here at bleepingcomputer.com .... I was reposted by some helper here to the right place)

Anyways, thank you, and yes it worked when I completed your "how to" to the letter, but only then.

OHH :thumbsup:

PS
Oh..... whenever I play a DVD on my laptop, I get choppy video, and my wife doesn't have that problem on an identical laptop. WHERE DO I POST THIS QUESTION? I'm still new at how and where. I will post a complete question when I can find out where to actually put it. Thanks again for any help.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

Others have tried to reset options in ZA Pro without finding the exact cause of your problem. My best recommendation is to completely uninstall ZA Pro and install ZA free firewall. There are several free antivirus and malware programs that will give you all the protection you need. I use ZA free and have never experienced any problems in 2 years. Here is a list of programs you could choose from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

As far as any other problem(s) you may have now or later, just click on the "forums" button at the top of this page and select the topic category that best fits your problem.

Most agree that Windows firewall is ok in a pinch but it doesn't prevent malware that gets on your computer from calling home.

//Mod edit to repair URL

Edited by KoanYorel, 03 October 2006 - 01:07 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users