Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleary infected but can't find the source.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigWonTon

BigWonTon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

hello, all. im a new member and in need of some help. im not a complete novice and i usually manage to keep my machines free of viruses and malware using common tools but this time i havent had any success. i initially noticed last night i had a problem when chrome started redirecting my searches to bing. so, first thing i tried was malwarebytes and the scan came up clean. so then i tried to run avg free which had been working fine but now it wont open at all. i uninstalled it and downloaded it again to no avail. although the exe downloaded fine the machine will not allow me to install it. my next step was to try other free antivirus software but again, no luck,. i could download the exe files but the machine will not let me install them. i did manage to install avast and run it with no negative results. next i tried hitman pro, zemana, tdsskiller, rkill and ccleaner. one of these repaired the browser redirect but im still unable to install any other antivirus software other than avast. i tried to install a few of the antivirus programs in safe mode but still no go. clearly something is preventing these antivirus programs from installing. i went into my task manager to see what was running and i noticed a couple of strange processes. one was called melius and another was called togetherness. each of them appeared at least a dozen times as a running process. i did a file search and found these items and deleted them bcuz i knew they didnt belong there but still, cant open or install any av software other than avast. im currently running windows 10 professional on a 64bit amd fx-6100 with 16gb ram. any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

You can download a bootable repair disk like Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Connect the computer via Ethernet will let you update the database. If Kaspersky finds anything it may give the ability to install your AV software.

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

If you are using Windows Pro then look in your Group Policy Editor for Software Restrictions.

Also these keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer or in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.

Another good program for startup services is AutoRuns. You can click the offending process and then the red X to remove. Hopefully it runs.

You can also check your process in AutoRuns using Virustotal.

Process Explorer is another program you can use to identify malware. See this BC guide by member FreeBooter.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617232/use-process-explorer-to-identify-malware-infection/

#3 BigWonTon

BigWonTon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:26 AM

hey, thanks for the quick reply. just got in from work but will try these suggestions in a few hours and let u know. thank u. 

please dont close this thread. may take me some time to do everything. my schedule sucks. 

#4 BigWonTon

BigWonTon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

tried your suggestions and had no luck. decided to just do a clean install. had other totally unrelated issues that warranted it as well. really appreciate your expertise and help. thank u. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Your Welcome, 

Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users