Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Sign into Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 debin

debin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:10 AM

This is a post that has also been posted on Microsoft forums which so far has recieved absolutely no help at all. Before posting here i have really exhausted now all searches for a fix to the problem but still at a point where I'm not going to reinstall windows 8.1.

The problem as i have been reading is not an unfamiliar one it would seem, However a fix for it seems to be out of reach for some who find themselves in the same situation.

OK, I locked myself out of my own computer.. I had been having some issues with what appeared to be Malware but after using a very well known tool for finding and removing Malware nothing was found but wanted to try that in a Safemode to be sure, So MSconfig changed from Normal strat up to Diagnostic.

Computer is restarted and i am asked to input the password, well guess what I have no clue what the password is? I have been using like many i have read the sign in four **** digit code instead, but as you are aware the mode i placed it in i thought would be with Internet access but the internet is disconected in this mode so that way of signing in does not work.

I cannot sign with the full password as long forgotten, I tried many which I would have used but all with no success..

I have used the Microsoft Installation disc booting that as the first device, but everything in there does not work, I try repair the system I get your system it was not possible to repair, I tried restore computer that came back with not able to restore your computer to an earlier time.

Refresh system does not work failed to refresh.

Start in Safemode Comand prompt just takes me back to the sign in page with a password or Pin number.

I then found another fix using Command prompt from the installation disc Troubleshooting area  (bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safebooot) That did not help as "safeboot  minimal" was not even in the list and just running this anyway just in case it was there and i could not see it just returns a reply saying that File does not exist.

So i am still at a point where by I am locked out, I don't have the Password for getting back In to restart the PC IN Normal mode, I tried to see if there was anyway i could do this through the Bios well clutching at straws really.

I don't have any other accounts to sign in with and didn't make any password changing software when i first set the Laptop up from new. So I am stuffed, became too reliant on the four digit code which once i am back in will be removed as i do not know why i had this set to need a password anyway any help appreciated Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

If it was me.....I would use a Hirens Boot CD to unlock the password.....have done it many times for customers

However , even with that software it can be a little tricky....and I don't know your level of experience

alternatively....if you have files you need, remove the drive and hook it up to another computer to save your files

then re-install windows

Edited by mikey11, 02 March 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

If your registry hives in Regback have a date before the problem, it may be possible to recover. See the below video. It's for Windows 10 but the concept is the same for Windows 8. You want to copy the backed up registry hives in Regback to the config folder. This will only work if the files in Regback have a date before your problem and they do not show as zero bytes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABI3DAhqwfo

#4 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

hi there thankyou all for the suggestions even though they never worked, but i am respectful that someone at least tried to help out, More than i could say about the Microsoft forums who do not seem to have a clue and its their system! This is an absolute incredibly stupid problem, Anyway i just told Microsoft through its forums just what I thought of them and their rubbish Windows, Am I angry you bet, I have wasted two days so far TWO DAYS! I will never see those two days again because of such a ridiculous problem and now at the stage of wiping and restarting windows all over again, What i should be doing is stamping on this piece of C. But The hard drive will come out as i have already made way to remove my important files. But next time i make three accounts two of which will be admin accounts and as for the PIn code Microsft can shove it. I have tried everything virtually out there and everything has completely failed miserably. I am going to begin the process of ending my Windows days and going over to a Mac instead, every time i see that Microsoft logo makes my blood boil. Thanks the both of you who responded. I am no longer looking for a fix to this STUPID problem.

#5 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Oh looks like Microsoft has banned me from their forum well they can stick it where the sun don't shine bunch of Amatuers!

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

hi there thankyou all for the suggestions even though they never worked, but i am respectful that someone at least tried to help out, More than i could say about the Microsoft forums who do not seem to have a clue and its their system! This is an absolute incredibly stupid problem, Anyway i just told Microsoft through its forums just what I thought of them and their rubbish Windows, Am I angry you bet, I have wasted two days so far TWO DAYS! I will never see those two days again because of such a ridiculous problem and now at the stage of wiping and restarting windows all over again, What i should be doing is stamping on this piece of C. But The hard drive will come out as i have already made way to remove my important files. But next time i make three accounts two of which will be admin accounts and as for the PIn code Microsft can shove it. I have tried everything virtually out there and everything has completely failed miserably. I am going to begin the process of ending my Windows days and going over to a Mac instead, every time i see that Microsoft logo makes my blood boil. Thanks the both of you who responded. I am no longer looking for a fix to this STUPID problem.

nice rant :thumbup2:

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:57 AM

Have you tried this ? (worked for me on a friends machine)

https://pureinfotech.com/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Oh looks like Microsoft has banned me from their forum well they can stick it where the sun don't shine bunch of Amatuers!

If this is typical of your normal communication skills I can well understand where Microsoft could have lost their patience with you. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Summary

The issue is you cannot sign in using your PIN.

You do not want to re-install Windows 8.1

You have been using a PIN number to sign in and do not know the password which is needed now.

Using a Microsoft Installation disc, trying to repair or refresh the system and system restore do not work.

Starting Safe mode via command prompt isn’t helpful because you still have to enter either your PIN or password.

You suspect a fix for it seems to be out of reach. You have tried everything without any success: I believe there are a few more things to try. Although I am on Windows 10, I have recovered some computers in the same position you are in.

Last but certainly not least, please do not let your frustration hinder the possibilty of success.

Moving on

In post #7 opera has a recommended solution. Are you willing to try it?

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Well I still believe your issue is able to be fixed. Go to http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recover-my-password.html

There are quite a few post that have excellent explanations on how to use their procedures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users