Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Access Msconfig File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jormic

jormic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hello everyone,

New guy to your forum with my first question. Using "run" to access msconfig file error message appears , "Windows cannot find file". I get around it by using search instead.

I don't know if this is associated with this problem but when I try to open Help and Support, message reads windows unable to find "helpctr.exe".

I'm sure its operator error since my computer knowledge and skills are limited. I would appreciate any comments, ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jormic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

What are you typing into the Run box, to try and access msconfig?
Just type in msconfig and hit OK.

For your Help and Support problem try this:

NOTE:
This is a registry edit. If you're not comfortable with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

kellys-korner
Restore Help and Support Service - #235, on the Left
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

If that didn't work, do you have the Windows XP CD?

If you do, you can run the system file checker tool to replace missing or corrupt files.

Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

You will most likely be asked for the Windows CD.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

#4 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

All I do is type msconfig in the RUN box but the file cannot be found. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of XP on disk.

Thanks again,

Jormic

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

If you do not have the installation copy of XP on disk do you have the manufacturer's restore cd?

Or does your computer have a restore partition on the hard drive?

What is the make and model of your computer?

#6 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

My computer is a Sony pcv-rs 430g, i do have a restore cd. I thought the cd could only be used for a complete restore. I have XP cd from my newly purchased laptop, can I use it on my desktop?

Additionally I tried several restore points and the process could not be completed. ( Don't want to add any confusion with this new found problem.)

Thanks for all comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users