Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Frequent Disconnects all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ziadramman

ziadramman

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:30 AM

Hello!

Background:

Computer: Both custom built, running windows 10 with the latest drivers.

Computers are connected via Ethernet to the router.

Router Model: TP-Link VR400

Internet type: DSL

Just one thing, I do not have a handheld phone at home, it's just the router connected to the phone socket, nothing else.

Issue: So up until yesterday, my internet connection has been great, stable and fast enough to enjoy gaming online with no issues. Speedtests give me a download speed of around 15 mb/s, (which for Lebanon is awesome) and a ping to Europe of about 60ms.

Last night I got home, and discovered that my internet kept dropping every 30-60 seconds, reconnecting, dropping and so on. After about 2 hours of troubleshooting, and disregarding the ISP as the source of the problem, I discovered something in the router settings that helped....kind of...

In the advanced section of the DSL Settings, there was DSL Modulation Type, where you get to choose from a list of options, the default (and previously working) was Auto-Sync up, which I assumed chose ADSL2+ mode which gives you up to 24 mb/s download speed.

I changed this to ADSL2 and voila, the internet was stable as can be, no drops, no disconnects. I ran a speedtest and was disappointed to see that it was returning a maximum of 8mb/s instead of my usual 15 mb/s. I spoke to a friend and he said that there are noise bursts on your phone line causing this. When I switched to lower-grade type of modulation, it compensated for the noise on my line and made it more stable. If I switched back to ADSL2+, the signal wont compensate for the noise and will drop the line frequently.

Now that you know the issue, can anyone help me figure out how to solve this? How come all of a sudden there is noise on my line? How can I fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

There could be a number of reasons for "noise" on the line. Degraded phone line, issues with the DSL node, a bad DSL modem. I would have your ISP (if you haven't already) inspect the lines and test for signal strength from their DSL node. If they rule out the issue on their side then the problem is with the wiring in your home or your DSL modem. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ziadramman

ziadramman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

There could be a number of reasons for "noise" on the line. Degraded phone line, issues with the DSL node, a bad DSL modem. I would have your ISP (if you haven't already) inspect the lines and test for signal strength from their DSL node. If they rule out the issue on their side then the problem is with the wiring in your home or your DSL modem.

Here's an update: I tried switching the Modulation Mode to ADSL2+ and it worked perfectly for about 30 minutes with no drops. I was playing online perfectly fine. All of a sudden, it dropped again.

The modem is basically new, i guess I'll have to call them to come check the phone line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users