Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"To continue with restore, boot from Windows installation disk" ...I already am

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tstenz

tstenz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:02 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to do a restore based on a system image I created before I reinstalled Windows recently. When I try to do so, I get the following message:

"To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery environment is currently running on. To continue with the restore, shut down this computer and boot from a Windows installation disk or a system repair disk and then try the restore again." As far as I know, I am booting from a Windows installation disk (One-time boot screen > Select Windows installation disk > Repair). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:17 AM

Looks like you may need to use a system recovery disk and not the installation media.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/issue-with-system-image-recovery-tools/72c00139-91ae-455d-852f-2df2cf63629e

#3 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

OK, I created a recovery disk using the Windows tool, but when I try to boot from it, the boot screen tells me it has no OS.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I see what I missed. Creating a new disk now...

Edited by tstenz, 02 March 2018 - 02:38 AM.

#4 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

OK, booted from new recovery disk, same error.

#5 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

bump

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

Is the System Image you created on a USB external drive? It sounds like your image is on the drive you are trying to restore the image to.

#7 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

I have one drive either functioning as a WIndows installation disk or recovery disk, and then one with the image.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Just to clarify. You have a hard drive running Windows that was just installed. You want to restore the image that is stored on another hard drive to the newly installed Windows drive, correct? 

When Windows starts System Recovery it asks what drive has the image and what drive you wish to restore the image too. 

When using the Windows install disk you get the below image? The error is shown after clicking System Image Recovery?

6262597.png

See the following video. Where in the video do you get the error. The System Image folder should be on the root of the hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCfzMclbOQ

It's getting late for me so I probably will not be able to answer any questions until tomorrow. Otherwise somebody else on BC may chime in and hopefully add their ideas.

#9 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

It's not Windows 7 so it looks a little different, but essentially yes. I select System Image Recovery, I select the image I want to restore and click Next, and that's when I get the error message I described. The equivalent would be about 2:21 in that video. There is nothing asking me where I would like to restore the image.

It's the same whether I launch System Recovery directly from my PC or from a Windows installation disk or a system recovery disk.

Edited by tstenz, 02 March 2018 - 11:11 PM.

#10 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

Also, the interface gives me this link to troubleshoot, but it doesn't seem relevant to this particular error: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc755163(v=ws.11)

Edited by tstenz, 02 March 2018 - 11:28 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

I am very sorry I was giving you wrong info as for some crazy reason I was thinking Windows 7. From what I have read Windows 10 has deprecated System Image Recovery in the latest version.

I did come across the below link. It's for Windows 7 but has the same error: Try changing your boot priority from the internal drive to the drive with the image. It seems the error occurs because Windows thinks the image in on the drive you are trying to image.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receiving-message-windows-recovery-environment-is/1f9120f9-0b52-465d-b08d-f324a2327835

Also see this link regarding the error in Windows 10. It may be due to a corrupted image file.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-suddenly-does-not-allow-the/2882c7ce-b7c4-42e6-aaa0-01a670311873

#12 tstenz

tstenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

Thanks guys, I think another user helped me identify the issue. The drive I was using as a Windows installation disk was a 500GB drive, which may have been confusing Windows. I tried it with a flash drive instead and was able to start the image recovery.

Unfortunately now I can't boot at all (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE), but I think that's a separate issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users