Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer became really slow suddenly, start menu and alt tab doesn’t work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tanvir131

Tanvir131

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

A few days ago I installed the Falls Creators Update (aka 1709), and now I get a strange behaviour. The Start Menu button (the window icon) is totally insensitive. When I click it, nothing happens. If I reboot (with Alt-F4, or with Ctrl-Alt-Del and Task Manager), all goes well, i.e. after reboot the Start Menu works regularly. However, at the next boot, the Start Menu gets insensitive once again.
As it happens every second boot, I have checked the "fast boot" option, thinking that maybe the falls Creators Update had turned it on again. No, it had not, I found it still disabled as it was before the update.
Honestly, I an not sure whether this problem has started occurring RIGHT AFTER the 1709 update, or a few days later. For sure, yet, it didn't happen BEFORE the 1709 update.
There is a detail that may help troubleshooting: in the sessions when Start menu is insensitive, when I reboot, the system shutdown always shows a message "Task Host Window stopping background tasks \Microsoft]Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required".
A device install every second boot? Doesn't make sense...
Any clue?

Also My PC became really slow suddenly. All the test for psu, cpu, gpu, hdd are saying they are perfect. Computer isnt overheating, so thats not the issue. Idk what can this problem be, but my disk always stays at 100%. I disabled superfetch and windows search from services to fix this problem, but still most of the time disk stays at 100%.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Have you gone to Settings..Updates and checked manually for updates?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

If there is an error message please this in your topic.

Please do the following.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cmd.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tanvir131

Tanvir131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer. If there is an error message please this in your topic. Please do the following. This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cmd.PLrbrFc.pngYou will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enterdism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Restart the computer to complete the repair.

What do you mean by the model number of the pc? It’s a custom build, And I will try to clean it up with command

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

You didn't post any information regarding this computer so I tossed the mental coin and guessed OEM.  Do what I've requested below and I'll know all about this computer.

You don't need to quote my posts.  It's a waste of time and bandwidth.

If the DISM command doesn't resolve this issue please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 02 March 2018 - 01:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tanvir131

Tanvir131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

Here is it:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eGnfCj8cBbzQbbudNcY1Osb

If that's not viewable for some reason, here are the specs below

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  
Motherboard: MSI - H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  

Edited by Tanvir131, 02 March 2018 - 11:50 PM.

#7 Tanvir131

Tanvir131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:47 PM

I have also tried these suggestions from here but to no avail.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

One of the problems being associated with the Fall update 1709 is a problem with the Firewall settings changing.  The way to resolve this is to reset the Firewall back to its default settings.  Follow the instructions below to resolve this issue.  I will state right now that there are a number of issue associated with this update, this may resolve one of these but leave others, then again... it could just resolve it all.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. In Settings click/tap on Update and Security, click/tap Windows Defender.

3. Click/tap on Open Windows Defender Security Center.

4. Click/tap on Firewall and Network Protection.

5. Click/tap on Restore Firewall default settings.

6. In the lower left portion of the page click/tap on Restore firewalls to normal, this is highlighted in blue.

#9 Tanvir131

Tanvir131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

One of the problems being associated with the Fall update 1709 is a problem with the Firewall settings changing.  The way to resolve this is to reset the Firewall back to its default settings.  Follow the instructions below to resolve this issue.  I will state right now that there are a number of issue associated with this update, this may resolve one of these but leave others, then again... it could just resolve it all.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. In Settings click/tap on Update and Security, click/tap Windows Defender.

3. Click/tap on Open Windows Defender Security Center.

4. Click/tap on Firewall and Network Protection.

5. Click/tap on Restore Firewall default settings.

6. In the lower left portion of the page click/tap on Restore firewalls to normal, this is highlighted in blue.

Sorry for the delayed response but i've done this and no improvement was to be found. Since this post, I've also defragged my PC just to see if that would do anything but to my surprise, the laggy performance and 100% disk usage remained the same. 

I've pretty much done everything in this post aside from re-instaling Windows

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

Have you had a read here?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-start-menu-not-working-every-other-boot/70d0cc11-a1fa-4fcc-ae50-c70fe953642d

and here (yes I know it's an insider thread but it is your exact issue)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop-insiderplat_pc/task-host-window/c47b5fca-cc6d-405e-b563-5ba0a4c82892

#11 techiegeek12

techiegeek12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win-10-start-menu-not-working-every-other-boot/70d0cc11-a1fa-4fcc-ae50-c70fe953642d

#12 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

This is usually related to a failed or bad update.

My recommendation would be as follows:
Restore to a point before updating if possible. If not, then there may be another option.
Uninstall any third party antivirus program with their uninstall tool
perform a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Reinstall updates
Then remove the clean boot state

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users