Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tails doesn't recognize 64 bits computer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pillusch

pillusch

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

I downloaded tails on my PC and my laptop, and I'm trying to run the tails environment in virtual box.

BOTH laptop and pc have 64 bits processors. But when I try to run tails in my virtual box, I'm told that both are only 32 bits computers. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2018 - 05:31 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Is the Windows OS a 32 bit or 64 bit? That could be the problem....assuming you are using the VM in Windows.

Does the Live version of Tails boot and allow you to use it? That is really the way it was intended to be used for

maximum security and anonymity.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pillusch

pillusch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

I didn't really know that it could be a question of the Windows OS. As of this moment I have the problem on my Lap as well, and I only bought it last December. So I assume that the OP is 64 bits.

No, I haven't tried the live version yet, since I wanted to practice in the virtual box first. I'll keep working on it, just wanted to send you a quick 'thank you' for your help. 

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

In the newer computer it could be that drivers for the hardware haven't been included in Tails. Not unusual to see

a 6 month delay even in more popular Linux distros.

I always tell users to run as Live first to be sure that hardware is compatible and access to the internet  works.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pillusch

pillusch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

I'll try this, then, thanks.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well i fort one wonder why you chose tails as your first linux distro.

Tails is meant for those who are reallyh hardcore and know what they are doing.

I know with the rise of the show Mr.Robot and Eric Sbnowden that linux can be this really cool hacking OS that can disrupt governments and such but for the average joe it is not going to be that easy.

Also virtual box isnt the best testing bed for trying a new OS, that role goes to the live image itself.

If you are fresh brand new to linux I would aim for linux Mint:

https://linuxmint.com/

Not only can it work with more modern hardware but it is going to be far more new user friendly.

Tails OS is only there for those who really want to get thier hads dirty, no need to install a distribution like that if you have no idea how Linux works.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 March 2018 - 09:46 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Tails is a live OS, it's meant to be run from a USB drive, or DVD, this is made clear in its web page

https://tails.boum.org/

Tails is a live operating system that you can start on almost any computer from a USB stick or a DVD.

As far as I'm aware it was not designed to be run in a VM, or installed as a "mainstream" OS on your hard drive.

I have a copy which I use from time to time, in the manner it was designed to be used, and it works fine on my 64 bit machine.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Well i fort one wonder why you chose tails as your first linux distro.

One reason would be that using Tails as intended, provides more anonymity than Linux Mint. It's conceivable that is what the OP is looking for, given the choice of Tails. :)

I don't see why anyone who can follow instructions to burn an ISO to bootable media and boot their computer from it, would not be able to use Tails (provided of course that the hardware is compatible).

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Before my first post I checked for instructions for running Tails in a VM. Tails - VirtualBox

QUOTE:

It is possible to run Tails in a virtual machine using VirtualBox from a Windows, Linux, or macOS host operating system.

Running Tails inside a virtual machine has various security implications. Depending on the host operating system and your security needs, running Tails in a virtual machine might be dangerous.

VirtualBox has a free software version, called VirtualBox Open Source Edition and some proprietary components, for example to add support for USB devices.

For security reasons, we recommend you to use only the Open Source Edition, though it does not allow to use a persistent volume.

With the shared folders feature of VirtualBox you can access files of your host system from within the guest system.

Make sure to understand the security implications of accessing internal hard disks from Tails before using this feature.

Security considerations for Windows and macOS

In our security warnings about virtualization we recommend to run Tails in a virtual machine only if the host operating system is trustworthy.

Microsoft Windows and macOS being proprietary software, they cannot be considered trustworthy. Only run Tails in a virtual machine on Windows or OS X for testing purposes and do not rely on it for security.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

I have a copy which I use from time to time, in the manner it was designed to be used, and it works fine on my 64 bit machine.

I have also used Tails on occasion, as it is intended to be used, and it has always worked fine on my 64 bit computer too.

-------------------------

pillusch,
There is nothing that need be practiced regarding using Tails, prior to booting your computer with it.

Edited by Al1000, 02 March 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

The only advantage to running Tails in a VM is that you would not have to reboot the computer. But for best security and anonymity...use it from a flash drive or DVD.

In the link I posted are directions for using Tails in a VM. Quoted below.

To configure the virtual machine to start from an ISO image:

1. Select the new virtual machine in the left pane.
  2. Choose Machine ▸ Settings....
  3. Select System in the left pane.
  4. In the Extended Features section of the Motherboard tab, make sure that Enable I/O APIC is enabled.
  5. Select Storage in the left pane.
  6. Select Empty below Contoller IDE in the Storage Tree selection list in the right pane.
  7. Click on the CD icon on the right of the window and select Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file... to browse for the ISO image you want to start Tails from.
  8. Check the Live CD/DVD option.
  9. Click OK.

To start the new virtual machine:

1. Select the virtual machine in the left pane.
  2. Click Start.

#12 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

I've just tried running Tails in Oracle, and it runs OK on my machine (if a bit slow).

I just followed the usual procedure that I'd use for adding any other OS. I didn't need to set anything up (as Buddy describes above).

The difference being that whereas with any other OS you select the ISO file, boot it, and then install it, with Tails you just select the ISO and boot it, and run a "live" session (which is in keeping with how Tails was meant to be run). 

The next time you launch a Tails session in Oracle, Oracle remembers where the ISO file is, and just boots into a live session.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

For what it is worth...I'm dropping this here: (read more and comments in the link)

Use Tor or 'extremist' Tails Linux? Congrats, you're on an NSA list • The Register

Use Tor or 'extremist' Tails Linux? Congrats, you're on an NSA list Penguinista mag readers, privacy-conscious netizens and more targeted, claims report
By Iain Thomson in San Francisco 3 Jul 2014 at 17:49
nsa_tshirt.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

Alleged leaked documents about the NSA's XKeyscore snooping software appear to show the paranoid agency is targeting Tor and Tails users, Linux Journal readers – and anyone else interested in online privacy.

#14 pillusch

pillusch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Just to clarify some aspects here: I'm a noob, and this is my first foray into technical aspects (I know how to use Microsoft Office, but that's about it, just that you get an idea).

I mean, before I started I didn't even know that tails runs on linux........

I am interested in exploring the Dark Web, out of curiosity and political reasons (I feel it can come in handy in the future, the way politics are going). I bought a course on how to install tails and from there get into the Dark Web. There I was told to figure the whole thing out first via virtual box (with the caveat that there would be security issues, i.e. not to access anything from the virtual box)

But I'm still stuck at the 32/64bits question, I'll let you guys know how it goes. So far thanks for your help. 

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

The dark web is not for noobs, or casual curiosity.

If you're not technically proficient, I strongly recommend that you avoid it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users