Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No list for administrator on cmd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 capturit

capturit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Using the method below on Windows 10 to save memory on the Recovery Drive, I do not get a list with administrator when I right click on Command Prompt after bringing it up.  I am trying to delete/disable the sleep function and need administrator to do so.  It's my laptop and no one else uses it.  I don't remember signing in as administrator when Windows 10 replaced 8.  It is requiring I use administrator to delete the program. 

I tried to use the following procedure to enable the Windows 10 administrator account do the following but it did not produce a list when right clicking on Scroll Command at the top (see picture)  Attached File  CMD.jpg   45.67KB   0 downloads:

1. Tap on the Windows-key. This should open the start menu or bring you to the Start Screen interface depending on how Windows 10 is configured on the system.
  2. Type cmd and wait for the results to be displayed.
  3. Right-click on the Command Prompt result (cmd.exe)  and select "run as administrator" from the context menu. Alternatively, hold down the Shift-key and the Ctrl-key before you start cmd.exe.
  4. Run the command net user to display a list of all user accounts on the system.
  5. To activate the inactive administrator account, run the command net user administrator /active:yes
  6. If you want to enable the guest account as well run the command net user guest /active:yes

Edited by capturit, 01 March 2018 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,362 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Using the method below on Windows 10, I do not get a list with administrator when I right click on Command Prompt after bringing it up.

you don't need to go to command prompt to remove the sleep function

just go to start > settings > display > power and sleep

Edited by mikey11, 01 March 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#3 capturit

capturit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

1. Right-click on the Command Prompt result (cmd.exe)  and select "run as administrator" from the context menu. Alternatively, hold down the Shift-key and the Ctrl-key before you start cmd.exe.
  2. Run the command net user to display a list of all user accounts on the system.
  3. To activate the inactive administrator account, run the command net user administrator /active:yes
  4. If you want to enable the guest account as well run the command net user guest /active:yes

OK, I clicked on Administrator, I also tried to do the second part of 1. but nothing seemed to happen resulting in a similar screen.

#4 capturit

capturit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

Apparently using this method will disable it to save memory on the Recovery drive.  I have revised the post above to reflect this.

Edited by capturit, 01 March 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

If you have not allowed Windows 10 to change it to PowerShell, hitting WindowsKey+X will give you a menu where you can choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (admin) [provided you're running under an account that has admin privileges].

If it has been changed to PowerShell, and you'd like Command Prompt back in the WinKey+X menu instead, use Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar Pane and you'll see the toggle near the bottom of the list of toggles.  If it's ON the context menu presents PowerShell and if it's OFF it presents Command Prompt.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 capturit

capturit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

It doesn't matter to me as long as I can become an administrator.  Powershell is actually on the menu (the instructions didn't say anything about using Powershell), although I did put Windows 10 in the search.

I tried Mikey11 2nd instruction after bringing up the list (1st instruction) with Administrator successfully,  I wasn't able to go any further with his 2nd instruction, but I may be doing it wrong.

#7 ezli09

ezli09

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

How about right clicking on the 4panes Start Menu... halfway down the context Menu are entries for Command prompt and an Elevated Command prompt

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

How about right clicking on the 4panes Start Menu... halfway down the context Menu are entries for Command prompt and an Elevated Command prompt

For the record, this is the same context menu brought up by WIndowsKey+X.  Yet another example of Microsoft's tendency to have "more than one road to Rome" for virtually any function.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

To run the Command Prompt as an Administrator do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

To run the Command Prompt as an Administrator do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Or, for those who have not changed the Cortana/Search box to show the search icon only, you can type what dc3 mentioned directly into the box on the taskbar.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

Just to add another variation which I use all the time, just click on start (the 4 white panes bottom left of task bar) and start typing cmd straight away.

There is no need to use a search box or icon.

You can use this method to find anything, device manager, reliability history etc etc.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

Just to add another variation which I use all the time, just click on start (the 4 white panes bottom left of task bar) and start typing cmd straight away.

You can use this method to find anything, device manager, reliability history etc etc.

This does not produce the Command Prompt Admin..  Most of the Command Prompt commands need to be run as an administrator.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

This does not produce the Command Prompt Admin..  Most of the Command Prompt commands need to be run as an administrator.

Don't you think that is nitpicking  :)

Just pointing out that there is another way to do things that does not involve using the search box or icon......you just type for what you want.

Some people might not know that you can do this on Windows 10.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Hi, probably little less known is you can use the win +x key and open Powershell(admin) within the powershell window first type:-  cmd (press enter) an elevated cmd prompt will open in powershell. Opera, I think Dc3 was simply pointing out that to open an elevated cmd prompt, using your method, you still have to right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users