Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to download a photo from Facebook's page?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 janjankole

janjankole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Hi friends. I am talking about Iphone SE that i own. I need to download a couple of photos from a page on facebook. So i will head to the photos on that page and download them from there. I won't open them but i will directly upload them to my facebook account and then delete them. 
My questions are basically two-
If a photo is uploaded on facebook by someone on his facebook page, is it possible for that photo to contain virus/malware and still to be uploaded on Facebook?
If i download the photo (Iphone SE) on my phone and simply upload it on my page, without even opening the photo, and delete it immidiatelly after from my device, is there any danger of anything happening to my phone.
The facebook's page i am talking about is managed by group of hackers, that is why i wonder. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:53 AM

Yes it is possible to embed a virus in a jpg or other picture format, as you are downloading it on an iOS device, the virus would have to have been written in a way that attacks iOS, unless it is a Windows computer that you use to access Facebook, because if there was a virus there, you can spread it from the iOS device to the Windows device and infect your Windows PC. However any good reliable AV program should be able to scan it to see if it is safe, however even though they are advertised as compatible with iOS, most AV programs do not work on iOS, it is the parental controls and location features of the AV software that are compatible with iOS (I believe Apple has put its own virus protection into

iOS, how effective it would be I do not know as I do not use a iOS device)

Edited by STS-1, 22 March 2018 - 01:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users