Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irfanview App for Puppy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

DadaMan

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:36 AM

Dear Friends,

Irfanview I have found to be useful...

Does anyone know if there is a version of it that works or is there an App that Puppy has that will do the same things?

Irfanview wrote back and said this:
There is only a Windows version ;-)

For Linux: use Wine or a similar emulator to run IrfanView (any many 
others) on Linux too.

Let us know please and Thank You!

Best, Raffaele

Edited by DadaMan, 01 March 2018 - 02:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

Hallo, Raffaele.

This is quite an easy one.....if you don't mind using WINE. It's rather a lot of stuff to install for running a single app, unless, like me, you run lots of 'em.

I run IrfanView myself. And MooiTech's PhotoScape. And Adobe's Photoshop CS2 (an oldie, but still very powerful). And lots of Windows Portable Apps.

There's quite a lot of native Linux apps, too. What sort of things d'you want to do with it? If you can tell us that, it'll give us a better idea of what to recommend. 

There's no shame in using Windoze and Linux apps alongside each other; depends how much of a purist you are. Some Linux apps definitely have the edge over their Windows counterparts. Sometimes, the Windows app is better for what you want.

You're running Tahrpup, I believe.....yes?

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thank YOU!

Don't know a thing about Wine and would prefer not getting too involved in an application if possible.

I use Irfanview for screenshot captures, adding text to an existing photo of my choice, sometimes I use the Paint dialog, blending pictures, adding arrows and texts to explain certain issues I may be having with a certain program/company..things along those lines. Nothing real involved..

So, Irfanview as a stand alone will not work or there is not a version that is available for download and Tahrpup?!

Most of the time I use another computah when I need Infanview, but the hard drive decided to die this past weekend and I'm in a bit of tight spot until that's repaired or the computer is replaced with another model.

If I am going to proceed I would love to be able to do this as simply as possible.

Thanks again for your precious time and expertise.

Make it a good one...

Ralfie

Edited by DadaMan, 01 March 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

@raffaele:-

You could give Hotshots a try. It allows you to take screenshots, then to annotate those screenshots with arrows, markers, text, etc, before uploading them to an image sharing service on the web.

You can get it from here (this is a direct link to the Ibiblio Tahr packages list.....which is where Quickpet gets its files from anyway):-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/HotShots-2.1.1.pet

Just download, then click to install as usual. You'll find it under Menu->Graphics. It takes a bit of experimenting with, but for a native Linux solution it should do what you want. I've played around with it, so I know it works OK; I just have my own preferred ways of doing these things, which usually involve running certain Windows apps under WINE.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 March 2018 - 05:43 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

ello!

Thank You!

I will try out the HotShots as it looks pretty good...and report back to you.

Will the thumbdrive with Tahrpup run on any other laptop or desktop running Windows 7 or is it "exclusive" to that laptop?

Another thing would be using the Alt controls in Windoz to make certain signs like degree °, slash — , heart

♥, etc...How can we do such things with Linux?
Take care, Raphael
:thumbup2:

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

@Raphael:-

You should find that your Tahrpup thumb drive is capable of running on any machine. The way the kernel works, and the way that Linux automatically detects and sets itself up for whatever hardware it finds means that it kind of 'auto-adjusts' for each machine.

You just need to find out how to boot from USB in each different computer you use. They're all a wee bit bit different, y'see.

-------------------------------------------

As for the characters thing, unfortunately there isn't any one universal method for doing this in Linux, due to the fact that every distro implements it differently, due to the combination of desktop, file-manager, type of X-server, type of terminal, etc, etc. However, have a look here; this might help:-

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#input

Hope it helps. It explains a way to use a function called 'xmodmap' to modify your keyboard so as to have 'permanent' keys for special characters. Once set, you would press the 'AltGr' key to the right of the spacebar, plus whatever key you've set for each character, and it would then show up.

It needs careful setting-up initially, but once done it'll be permanent whenever Tahrpup is running. The best way would be to write a script for this, then put it in /root/Startup; it'll then start at boot.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:-

Just done a wee bit of research. "♥" There you go!

To get this, hold down Shift + Ctrl. Enter 'u', followed by '2665', then let go of the Shift + Ctrl keys. Voilà!

The 'u' indicates it's going to be a Unicode hex value to follow. You can find a complete list of Unicode characters here, along with their keycodes:-

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/en/general-info/unicode.html

(I'll warn you; it's an enormous list. Keyboards are capable of generating far more characters than what you can see on the actual keys....)

heart "♥" =hold shift + ctrl, u, 2665, release

degree "°" = hold shift + ctrl, u, 00b0, release

slash "—" = hold shift + ctrl, u, 2014, release

...and so on. And all done in Puppy!

(Find the symbol you want in that big list. The value will be that at the left side of that line, plus the value at the top of that particular column.)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 March 2018 - 10:01 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Thank YOU! Mike...
That'll be quite a work out with those characters..But, at least we know there is a way to pull it off.

Your a "lifesaver" and I'm not talking dolce..

Like to get the Hotshot working first. Only so many hours in a day and they cannot be spent of these machines. Yes!

Have a pleasant healthy day.

My best to you always...

Sinceremente,

Raffaele  :thumbup2:

#8 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

@Raphael:-

You should find that your Tahrpup thumb drive is capable of running on any machine. The way the kernel works, and the way that Linux automatically detects and sets itself up for whatever hardware it finds means that it kind of 'auto-adjusts' for each machine.

You just need to find out how to boot from USB in each different computer you use. They're all a wee bit bit different, y'see.

-------------------------------------------

As for the characters thing, unfortunately there isn't any one universal method for doing this in Linux, due to the fact that every distro implements it differently, due to the combination of desktop, file-manager, type of X-server, type of terminal, etc, etc. However, have a look here; this might help:-

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#input

Hope it helps. It explains a way to use a function called 'xmodmap' to modify your keyboard so as to have 'permanent' keys for special characters. Once set, you would press the 'AltGr' key to the right of the spacebar, plus whatever key you've set for each character, and it would then show up.

It needs careful setting-up initially, but once done it'll be permanent whenever Tahrpup is running. The best way would be to write a script for this, then put it in /root/Startup; it'll then start at boot.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:-

Just done a wee bit of research. "♥" There you go!

To get this, hold down Shift + Ctrl. Enter 'u', followed by '2665', then let go of the Shift + Ctrl keys. Voilà!

The 'u' indicates it's going to be a Unicode hex value to follow. You can find a complete list of Unicode characters here, along with their keycodes:-

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/en/general-info/unicode.html

(I'll warn you; it's an enormous list. Keyboards are capable of generating far more characters than what you can see on the actual keys....)

heart "♥" =hold shift + ctrl, u, 2665, release

degree "°" = hold shift + ctrl, u, 00b0, release

slash "—" = hold shift + ctrl, u, 2014, release

...and so on. And all done in Puppy!

(Find the symbol you want in that big list. The value will be that at the left side of that line, plus the value at the top of that particular column.)

Been fooling with HotShots..pretty cool app. Questions: Once you have the snapshot you want how do you crop it? Also, if you draw a arrow and it's not quite what or where you'd like it how do you erase it and start over? I don't see as there is any  Back /Undo button.
Thankah You!
Rff

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

@Raffaela:-

To erase an arrow or whatever you want, re-select the cursor select button (top left corner of the left-hand panel), so the cross goes back to a normal cursor. Left-click on the item, so you have edit points showing, then click on the big cross, top-right corner.

I admit, it's not terribly intuitive, but it works fine, once you get used to it. That's the thing with most Linux software; it's no worse than Windoze stuff, it's just different.....so you need to get used to doing things a different way, that's all.

-------------------

To crop, left panel (two columns of buttons, yes?) -> 4th button down in the right column (looks like a bisected square, yes?) ->click & drag to select, then hit 'Enter' to perform the crop. Like I said....not better, not worse; just different.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Mike!  :) 
your a genius...

Raffaele

#11 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

ello! thought i could ask about this even though it appears to be okay.

I was on Facebook and I was trying to leave a message on messenger. I can't remember clearly what it said, but it had something to do with running a file checker of some sort and it gave a location, but it was so rapid that I couldn't catch it or take a screenshot.
I shut down via Exit and it seems to be running okay after rebooting.
What do you suggest or how do you run this file checker? I know this is off this topic, and I will start a new post if it continues to come up with some other warning. 
What you say?
Thank You!
Best, Raffaele

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:23 AM

@Raffaele:-

I'm afraid this is one I can't help you with. I don't use social media...period. It's quite on the cards somebody else can help with this one.

I will say this much; if it flashes by and disappears instantly (and everything works as expected), I doubt it's worth worrying about. A couple of sites I use regularly do the exact same thing at times. It doesn't seem to affect anything, so I don't investigate.

However, it's a social media site, so..... Malware?Adware? If it is, then you can bet it's built for Windows, so wouldn't be able to execute in Linux anyway; it won't be able to find the parts of the filesystem it's looking for!

I'm just throwing out ideas here; without further investigation by someone who knows more about this kinda thing, it's impossible to say.

Mike. :wink:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

Okay Mike!

I'll wait it out a bit, but whatever that was after rebooting seemed to have disappeared and thus far I have been able to see any downgrade in Puppies performance. Apparently before you do any kinds of installations of Puppy/Linux it a good idea to Defrag and run sfc /scannow in Windoz!?

Keep us posted if you run across anything of interest.

Have a wonderful and keep doing this great work..it's deeply appreciated.

Over and Out with a shout!

Raffaele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users