Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard- Can't Boot Into Win7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Makalov99

Makalov99

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:59 AM

Need a little help! I have a Pavilion HPE h8-1360t desktop PC and the motherboard has died.

Board:
• Manufacturer: Pegatron
• Manufacturer name: IPMMB-FM
• HP: Formosa

Other Specs:
• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT630 [DVI, HDMI and VGA via adapter]
• Upgraded 600W Power supply
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), 2 USB 3.0 (top)
• SuperMulti DVD Burner
• Wireless-N LAN card (1x1) (Looks like the Intel board doesn’t support this??)

I researched my options and didn’t really want to get a used Formosa board off eBay- seems risky.
So I purchased and installed an Intel DZ75ML-45K board that fits my tower (9.6 x 9.6 micro ATX) with LGA1155 socket. There weren’t that many to choose from. Seems like a slightly more modern board?!?

I was super excited when the thing actually started, fans kicked on, etc.!

I can get to the Intel BIOS screen but can’t seem to get the boot process to start, can’t get into Safe Mode and don’t have the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit DVD installation disc (recovery partition only). I do  have the OEM Win7 COA sticker on the cabinet, however.

Lurking on many forums, I fully expect to have to negotiate with MS via a telephone activation and I think I have a good case. But I can’t get that far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

Are you saying you are trying to boot the same hard drive on a different motherboard. This is what is keeping your hard drive from booting as your Windows 7 hard drive has drivers specific to the HP motherboard. In addition to that the HP motherboard has a SLIC table in BIOS that is used with SLP key and certificate on your hard drive that will pre-activate Windows.

You will need to find a Windows 7 DVD or the same version that is shown on your COA sticker and do a clean install after backing up any personal data you currently have on the drive. You will need to do a phone activation. What I do not know is if using a MB other than the OEM HP will cause problems for the activation via phone.

#3 Makalov99

Makalov99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Thanks JohnC_21. Yes, I'm swapping the MB due to a failure, with all else being left as is. Also trying to retain my Win7 as well.

Just curious- Is it an HP thing that the MB is so tied to the OS / BIOS? I've read many success stories in the forums about folks swapping boards, updating drivers and successfully getting back into the Win7 game.

If I were to put my HDD in a working machine, there is no way to harvest the files I need to create a repair disk or something? Why do the OEMs even put back up files on a partition if they can't be used in this manner?

Lastly, would you recommend I just buy Win10 Home for 100 bucks and install that clean instead?

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

All Windows 7 OEM computers have a SLIC table in BIOS that works with the SLP key on the OS install. All OEMs use one key with the SLIC table to pre-activate Windows 7. You can use the key on the COA sticker and activate with a phone activation but I have no idea if using an intel board with that COA key will work. 

You can either attach the current drive to harvest your files internally in the computer if you have the space or use a USB adapter similar to this one. You may be able to find one locally. This assumes the hard drive has not failed or the files system has not been corrupted to a point where recovery is not possible. 

Installing Windows 10 would depend on the age of the computer. The computer is going on 7 years old. Depending on what you use the computer for you could put a free OS on the hard drive like Mint Cinnamon. Windows programs will not run on linux but there are equivalents. This would be a good option if you have no mission critical programs. The OS would also allow you to pull the files from your current drive. It would also allow you to get online temporarily if you need to. I would be hesitant to put Windows 10 on a 7 year old Windows 7 computer. The only two OSs that this computer supported was 8 and 7.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

You will need to burn the iso by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have any question concerning linux Mint please post them in the linux forum here at BC.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

I'm sure John is right about the licensing issues, but first things first, is the BIOS actually detecting your hard drive and optical drive?

Is the HDD set as the first boot device?

What if any error message are you seeing once it attempts to boot off the hard drive (assuming the BIOS is seeing it in the first place).

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Makalov99

Makalov99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Jonuk76, I believe so but will double-check that tonight. Maybe I can take a screenshot with my phone and post the messaging I'm seeing. BTW I should have an install disk by early next week.

Thanks.

#7 Makalov99

Makalov99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Received the Win7 repair/boot disk. At least I see the Win7 splash page again- progress!?!

Choosing "Repair Your Computer" gives me a pop up message that the version of Windows I have isn't compatible with the boot disk (despite the disk supposedly having all versions of 32 and 64 bit Windows O/S).

So now I choose "Install Now" and I get another window requesting I need to load DVD/CD drivers in order to proceed. The disk that came with my new Intel MB is supposed to have new drivers but the machine doesn't find the driver(s) it is looking for on the Intel disk. Where do I get said drivers?

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

You might need the USB 3.0 drivers, Use the F6 option during the install to load the driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22668/?product=69307

Does this board have a uefi bios?

Edit:

Windows 7 does not natively support XHCI USB 3.0. You'll need to provide the driver to continue the install

The PCH also contains an integrated eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) host
controller which supports USB 3.0 ports. This controller allows data transfers up to
5 Gb/s. The controller supports SuperSpeed (SS), high-speed (HS), full-speed (FS),and low-speed (LS) traffic on the bus

This board (IPBoard) has some really f'd up formatting issues

Edited by Joe C, 06 March 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#9 Makalov99

Makalov99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

Gentlemen,  an amazing change of fortune!  As I downloaded USB3.0 driver to an USB jump on another computer in the house, for whatever reason I decided to change SATA back to RAID in BIOS on the broken machine first.  And rebooted.  Amazingly that brought me to my old desktop!  All my files were there intact!  Realize this computer has been down for over a year (it was unceremoniously replaced by the "other computer in the house" and left to die in the basement when its board quit).  Couldn't get to the internet because the Ethernet adapter wasn't working but I ran the Intel disc that came with the new mobo and it loaded a few drivers (and bloatware). Wow.

Unlike the old HP Formosa board, this Intel board is super quiet.  And just as snappy on the internet and opening Office files as I remember.

And it gets better.   I decided to tackle the Win7 reactivation today (as the system screen was yelling at me I had 2 days before an automatic reactivation).  I entered my Product Code and two minutes later the magical words "windows is activated" appeared!!  No call, no begging MS.    I am beyond happy.  ( I want to build a new rig now, totally from scratch)!

Thanks you JohnC_21, jonuk76 and Joe C for the support. 

Mark

Edited by Makalov99, 07 March 2018 - 04:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users