Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aworrier

aworrier

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Suddenly today, my laptop crashed. The charger connection flash from off and on and then the laptop shutoff. I restarted it and it worked for a bit. The charger connection did again and the crash happened again. I noticed the charger (which is a replacement I ordered online) was really hot so I let it rest for a while. When I plugged it again, instead of shutting off the screen just froze until I force shutdown the laptop. I then tried the old charger that has a loose connection and there was no immediate crash. 20 minutes later, the laptop froze again. This all has happened within about 2 hours suddenly. The computer is an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro and I am completely stumped by what is causing this. The event logs just state:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID" and some other things I cannot understand.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

Just a guess but I'd say that the old and new chargers need replacement.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Does the power adapter reflect the proper specifications posted below?

AC Input Voltage: 100 ~ 240V
Input Frequency: 50 ~ 60Hz
DC Output Voltage: 19V
DC Output Current: 7.1A
Power: 135W

Both the output voltage and current are very important.  The voltage needs to be the 19VDC, the current must be at least the 7.1A, it can be rated higher, but it can't be rated below the 7.1A figure.  If you have a multi-meter you can check the voltage to see if it is producing the 19VDC. 

Is the battery getting a full charge?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ezli09

ezli09

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

Adapters should get warm to very warm. Hot and dicke is correct...replace. And speccy rocks!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

Adapters should get warm to very warm. Hot and dicke is correct...replace. And speccy rocks!

We understand that the power adapter has a problem.  We need for the original poster to determine if this adapter is compatible with their computer since this is a replacement unit.  The other option is that the power adapter was defective from the factory.  If it's the wrong adapter... they purchase something they can't return or use.  If the unit is the correct adapter but is not working properly, time to send it back for either a replacement or a refund.  Time to wait for the op to respond to the questions. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 aworrier

aworrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Sorry for the delay, time has been tight. 

Here are the specs on the adapter:

AC Input Voltage: 100 - 240V
Input Frequency: 50 - 60Hz
DC Output Voltage: 19V
DC Output Current: 4.74A (different and looks like this must be the problem)
Power: Doesn't say on the adapter sticker.

I think the battery is getting a full charge as the computer runs on it just fine (until it freezes.)

Here's the speccy log:

The issue stopped happening for a few days and today it looks like the adapter overheated again and the computer froze like last time. The symptom a bit before the freeze was the charge losing and regaining connection for a few moments. It does look like the adapter that was said to compatible with this computer is not.

I greatly appreciate your help, thank you!

Edited by aworrier, 05 March 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

The amperage should be 7.1A.  If it is as low as 4.7A this is not the correct power adapter for your computer.  This definitely can cause problems.

#8 aworrier

aworrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Thank you! I've been using the older original charger since. Unfortunately it has a poor connection and only works when its 3/4 plugged in. This time, the same crash happened. I felt the charger brick, it felt warm but not burning like the replacement charge. I then checked the charger pin/insert and it was hot. Now the original charger is completely dead. I assume this last crash was due to the old original charger finally burning out?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

There is the possibility that the female socket in the laptop needs to be resoldered or replaced.  On some laptops this is a separate card and is comparatively easy to replace or repair.  I'm out of time  and will not be able to get back to you until tomorrow. 

Here is a video which shows how to replace the socket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users