Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clearing space on my HP Stream Laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 curiousmrb

curiousmrb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Ok, so I bought this machine with the understanding that it has very limited storage space, much like a notebook. It's intended use is to handle documents or access the web, and an intrepid designer like me has room to install my editing software and work. Awesome. I also understood at the time that I could either manually upgrade the memory and switch to an external wifi card, or buy an external hard drive and just install and run things from there as needed. Still good. Not bad for a $200.00 dollar machine.

Like a lot of people, even though I purchased my machine for work I'd still like to have at least one decent game on here. Sometimes you have to kill zombies. Or raise them. whatever. I can think of a few decent games that range from 8-10 GB of storage space and I'd be happy with any one of them, and here comes the issue at hand.

With a storage space of 32GB at default, all system files, updates and built in applications leave you with an initial 4.5 or so GB freed up for storage. You can add the virtual memory and etc doing it's thing into that pool. I need more room and I do not currently have money for either of the aforementioned solutions, I will not for some time. I manually went in and gleefully started removing things. Bye bye Mcafee, so long Office, etc. Purged apps, purged everything I safely could. I'm not new to this, however I have been out of the windows loop for quite some time. I'm an XP wizard and was a fair hand with 7, but Windows 10 is a foreign sector to me. So when I say everything I safely could that is mostly related to applications and their ilk. And here I am now.

I have decided to do a couple of things that will free me up a few more GB so I can put a game on my machine, probably Path of exile for now -good Diablo clone. With my limited knowledge of Windows 10 I come to you esteemed people for help.

Step one is uninstalling windows updates. They take up Quite a bit of space and I know from past experience Windows can usually survive just fine without most of them. But which are expendable? I will include images of both my basic system information and the list of removable updates.

System information

Attached File  System Information.png   150.51KB   0 downloads

Update listing

Attached File  Recent windows updates.png   375.07KB   0 downloads

I do not know which of these I can get rid of safely and I am hoping someone here can direct me. It doesn't seem to want to let you turn off auto updates with 10, so ideas are welcome there as well. I'm thinking maybe I can hem it up in the firewall, who knows. Right now updating is stopped because it ran into storage space issues. I'll deal with it when the time comes.

Step 2 is to free up the space used for upcoming/pending updates. Windows has already allocated space for the rest of the updates it has lined up. My filled hard drive froze up the updates and the result of the incomplete updates is that the system has now reserved space -about 3.6 GB worth- for the chunk of updated material that is waiting. After I uninstall the current updates and stop the auto updating a registry scan may address this issue on it's own, however it may not. In the case of it not doing so I am going to manually delete these TEMP files to save the space. I'm not sure if anything on the list is better left on it's own rather than being deleted, so once again I call on your collective expertise. I will now attach images that show both a brief of the directory and the files in question.

Pending Windows Downloads

Attached File  Pending Windows Downloads 1.png   532.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Pending Windows Downloads 2.png   552.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Pending Windows Downloads 3.png   617.7KB   0 downloads

How much of this drek can I just do away with? If there is anything on this list that should be left alone, please notify me so I don't make a booboo. I do not have a windows disc or any means of reinstalling my OS if i break this and won't for some time.

Step 3 is removing application data leftovers. When I say I purged, i mean i purged. Including removing the registry entries and local user app folders of anything remotely to do with the applications I removed. Of course nothing is ever truly gone, there will always be residuals and traces of anything until you melt the whole drive into slag. But I expect reasonable bits. 4.56 KB here, .3 KB there, and so on; these applications are leaving behind bits and pieces considerably bigger than that. 30, 40, 50 KB residuals that do add up in aggregate. When I have a 32 GB limit on my storage, 20,000 file chunks that take up a third of a GB or more at times do matter. But it will not let me remove these final traces. I'm the main administrator, the main everything on this machine, but I can't get certain, subtle permissions changed. Therefore I am stuck with a bunch of phantom litter from applications passed. It tells me I need SYSTEM permission and I haven't figured out how to do that. I know of the need for administrative permission but SYSTEM is a first for me. Changing the settings in the files' security tabs is also a no go, as they are stuck on their respective permissions with the options to alter things grayed out. I have included an image of both the error message and an example of some of the files remaining after everything I did to remove all traces.

Permissions Alert

Attached File  Error Message.png   585.06KB   0 downloads

Please note that some of the things on that list, a lot of them, are gone. Minecraft, HPJumpStart, Skype, etc have been removed from everywhere I can find. Program files, User app data, registry entries. The only folder I cannot get into is the windowsapp folder, which also denies me and will not allow change of permissions. I am hoping someone can tell me how I get my permissions changed so I can remove these large traces. It wouldn't hurt if you could also let me know why it leaves behind such sizeable traces, are they things in that file I am locked out of? Anyone know how to get in there? I will attach an image of the denial when I attempt to enter the Windowsapp folder.

Permissions Alert

Attached File  Windowsapp Permission Denial.png   534.34KB   0 downloads

Different alert, same result. Everything needed to change permissions and the like is grayed out on me. On administrative, on main user, Microsoft sign in or local; cannot alter permissions settings. Can anyone tell me why and how to change this?

Final Step is to remove or alter a few bits that don't really fit into any category. Primarily I would like to adjust the virtual memory. By default it came at 1.6 GB of space allocated to the virtual memory. Seeing as how I have 4 GB and don't need any sort of RAM boost, reallocating the virtual memory to the neighborhood of 10 KB seems very reasonable to me. It will free up more than 1 GB and nothing I use requires virtual memory to back up the RAM so currently it is being wasted. I'm not about to be running final fantasy 15 on this machine anytime soon. Can any of you fine people clue me in as to how I adjust the virtual memory? In this miscellaneous  step is also some weird object I have discovered that I want to remove. It is a PPKG labeled as recovery and I have no idea what it is for. The windows system restore option has about 1.5 GB allocated to it, so I do not think this is related as this takes up more than 2 GB. I am now including an image that shows a brief directory and the name of the item in question.

Mysterious PPKG

Attached File  Recovery PPKG.png   465.1KB   0 downloads

What, exactly, is this and can I get rid of it?

If even only a bit of this works I should be able to free up anywhere from 1 - 5 GB, which will tide me over until I have the funding to get an external or upgrade the machine itself. Sorry to be so long winded, but I prefer to be thorough and precise. Any information you guys can give me will be duly appreciated. Hoping this community is the place for me.

Edited by curiousmrb, 28 February 2018 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users