Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer performance benchmark software ? or other means

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

How does a user test their computer performance quantitatively ?

I've found and used CrystalDiscinfo for hard drive health, but was wondering if there are legit software to test hard drive performance and overall computer performance.

A quick google search found a few software that claims for computer performance benchmark . Are they safe? or is there any recommended software for computer speed assessment ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

"Test" with what goal in mind?

Peformance compared to what?  The problem that I see with any "benchmark" or other software proclaiming the ability to "measure performance"...is that each one uses a different set of "standards" which are not really defined...and the database for one is not the database used by another.

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

This one is free and has millions of online results so is a reasonable basis for comparing your system against others.  It can also highlight any problem area's that are not performing as they should be.  http://www.userbenchmark.com/

The downside - it's a synthetic benchmark so isn't necessarily representative of how a system will perform in real world tasks.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

"Test" with what goal in mind?

Peformance compared to what?  The problem that I see with any "benchmark" or other software proclaiming the ability to "measure performance"...is that each one uses a different set of "standards" which are not really defined...and the database for one is not the database used by another.

Louis

Apology for not being clear as the OP.

The simple goal is to know if a laptop is performing as it should be, say, with certain intel chip, certain graphic chip. My naive assumption is for any hardware, there should be manufacture and wear-and-tear issues. If I can "test" the performance, I would know how "good" a laptop is, at least as good as it claims to be.

Is this an unrealistic goal, realistic but unnecessary, or ... ?

Did the original question + some clarification make sense ?

Edited by seraphin, 28 February 2018 - 03:58 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

I cannot answer your questions..either from a philosophical or statistical poin-of-view.

But...I will say the following:

a.  Any analysis of working systems that is large enough to be valid...probably does not take into account the fact that...new is going to run better than old (in some cases)...unless I miss my guess, some ot those systems included in the "database" probably have stats which are distored by resident malware...and are not systems where owners strive to do routine maintenance, installation of critical updates, and so on.

b.  If we are talking about new or recently bought OEM systems...I suspect that user/buyer feedback/reviews posted at OEM or seller websites...would be more useful/informative.

c.  Said over and over...I believe that the weakest link...when it comes to system performance...lies in the persons we collectively know as "users."  There are no stats, no specs that will "validate" that opinion...but I will assert such anyway.  A pristine "perfect" system...in the hands of a user who does not even understand why he/she should be backing up...or anything else...is going to be dubbed by said user as "imperfect/not performing, and so on."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users