Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo S230U won't power on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seanbateman7

seanbateman7

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

Hey,

Got this laptop my dad last night. He said the HDD had failed on it and I decided I would fix it. I was able to get it to boot into the bios last night and he looked surprised. Today, I am not able to boot into the bios, or get any fans spinning. I plug the charger in, I get a green charging indicator light. I hit the power button, I get a red thinkpad light. Then both lights turn off and nothing happens. I've hit the reset button and let it charge for 30 minutes after with no luck, disconnected the battery tried with just the power cord with no luck. I disconnected the battery and power hit the  power button a bunch of time, as well as held it. did the same with the reset button after those failed attempts.

I'm unable to determine what is causing the failure. I don't see any obvious shorts on the board, and the cmos is unplugged. It is the 4GB I5 model.

any help is appreciated because I am running out of ideas.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

if you can't even boot to bios, thats normally a motherboard problem

#3 nyakunguru

nyakunguru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Also try to check the capacitors on the motherboard.

#4 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

Is there a way to actually test the capacitors? or just visually check them.

#5 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Also, I found a cheapish mobo on ebay, but it's an i7 and I have the i5 model, could I just swap them? or would I have to change out batteries, power supplies, anything like that?

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

not positive, but it should work....maybe ask the seller,

changing that may affect your windows license though

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

I am not personally familiar with the i5 and i7 CPUs but if you go to the Intel web-site you should find their respective specs there. Failing that, google for i5 and i7 specs, somebody will have them.

The first thing to check is if they use the same socket, if they don't then you will need another mobo. Then look at the voltage supplies required and the power draw rating. If all of these match then you should be good to go. even if one CPU has a higher power rating than the other so long as the total is within the rating of your PSU this is not a problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users