Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome hangs due to "long-running script"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Craig McDaniel

Craig McDaniel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Chrome will stall or hang, not quite a freeze, and pop up a message saying that a "long-running script" is the culprit. I'd appreciate any ideas or known fixes to bring Chrome closer to the "as advertised" smooth and speedy browser Google claims.

No hint as to the identity of the offending script, and I don't know how --- if it's possible -- to find it on my own. I'm given the option of stopping the script, which I do but it seems to take the system forever to respond to the command. This is often followed by more instances of the same behavior.

Sometimes, but not always, a yellow bar appears at the top of the Chrome window pointing out that Shockwave has crashed at about the same time. In other cases, the Shockwave crash occurs without the script notification. The following is the displayed message: 

"A plug-in (Shockwave Flash) isn't responding."

I followed the how-to-fix-it steps in Chrome Help, but I'm not sure that resolved it. Haven't seen the error message recently, but I may have been lucky and dodged sites with Shockwave content. Chrome's Task Manager shows the plug-in is running. That's odd because using Iobit Uninstaller's Toolbars & Plug-ins feature, the Shockwave Flash Object plug-in (version 28.0.0.161 32-bit) is associated with IE 11 and doesn't show up on the Chrome plug-in list -- only in the Task Manager list for Chrome.

I've removed nearly all extensions and cut back on plug-ins to lighten the workload. Regularly run defrag, security and clean-up programs to keep the litter to minimum.

I also experience, very regularly, a "program not responding" timeout but this isn't limited to Chrome. Happens with most running programs and I suspect it's the result of hardware resources. My machine is old and limited in processing power, RAM etc. Can't afford to do the obvious fix for the hardware limitations and buy a replacement.

OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Version 1709

Build 16299.248

Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Installed (on my laptop) is Shockwave player version 12.3.1.201

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

I had that issue on Firefox and it turned out to be an ad blocker. I'd suggest disabling all of your addons then reenable them one at a time. If you enable one and the problem returns you know what caused it.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

If HyperHenry's suggestion (which is a good one) does not allow you to determine the culprit, it's always helpful to potential assistants if you publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your next message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users