Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning and defrag question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pasha19

pasha19

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

If one wished to setup their drive with three partitions one to contain the OS and Apps, one to contain swap and temp files and a third containing data in that order on a disk.  Is there a means of defraging the first OS and Apps partition toward the end of the partition instead of the beginning to minimize arm motion?  There should not be much in the second partition ahd it would be relatively small and the third partition data optimizes most effectively in the traditional manner to the beginning of the partition.  This just may be a stupid idea too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

At the risk of offending (and I truly don't want to do that), I want to agree with your final sentence :wink: .

There is zero need to do what you're asking.

Edited by Allan, 28 February 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

i think you are overthinking this

#4 pasha19

pasha19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

Reasonable responses from both that is why I included that last sentence.  I guess I will chalk this one up as a bad idea.

I'm a really old timer when disks were considerably slower and we thought more about things like the delay attributable to arm motion.  However then optimization generally was more effective when simultaneously used items were on different physical drives and possibly controllers too in the mainframe world.

Edited by pasha19, 28 February 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Pasha, I'm 66, I remember those old HD days fondly  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 pasha19

pasha19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

I guess that makes me the baby I'm 65.  I never saw one but I heard about the ramac disks on the IBM 1401  One head multiple platters -- the head had to fully retract to switch platters.

On the 370's we could calculate both seek time to get the head to the cyllinder and the average rotational delay for the data to pass under the head.  Then there was calculating block sizes which required an adjustment for keyed records (indexed) versus unkeyed records serial and relative record files.

Edited by pasha19, 28 February 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

My first HDD purchase was a 240MB (not GB!) for $210+- -- way back when...

And, yes, every trick in the book was used to maximize efficiency and minimize HD usage, especially HDD "thrashing".

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 pasha19

pasha19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

I think my first drive was 10MB or 20MB attached to the external floppy port on a 9" Mac (the one with a single internal 3/12" floppy.

Edited by pasha19, 02 March 2018 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users