Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Updates Stopped ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

I seem to recall Lavasoft was sold. Ad-Aware has stopped updating since 19th September when the latest issue was SE IR124.19.9.

Since then Nothing. Not just me seeing this either.

Anyone knows if the new owners have put SE Free on the back burner.????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

I know 14 days is the default number of days for definition updates.
Today is day 15,and I haven't got anything since IR124.19.9.2006 either.
Thanx for bringing this to our attention SaxonManFinland.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

SE1R124 19.09.2006 shows as the latest definitions update:
Definition Files Update
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

I checked the Lavasoft forums, and didn't find anything to indicate there is a problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

I've been looking around also. Lavasoft has recently changed their website.

The new website does have the free version of Ad-Aware listed in its products. The latest updates to the paid version were also on Sept. 19th. I've noticed that some of the navigation buttons on their website don't work, but the sitemap works fine as do those links I tested on it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

There was a question posted on Sept 29,06,in the Lavasoft/General Support Forum regarding this issue.
An Advanced Member,"LS CalamityJane" stated

Yes, that is the latest update.

The latest reference file definition updates are also posted here in the forums
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=65
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 MisterKeith

MisterKeith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I'm very new so please bear with me!

I'm following the tutorial about using Ad-Aware SE to remove spyware, and have got as far as installing it. When I try to check for updates, it tells me that there is an "Error retrieving update", and the installed definitions file is SE1R47 24.05.2005, with installed core definition 1.06r1 Personal.

Am I stuffed? Any ideas as to what I can do next???

I'm not exactly computer-savvy, I'm afraid.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

A couple of things you can try:

Close Ad-aware.
Go to C: \ Program Files \ Lavasoft \ Ad-Aware SE Personal
Delete the defs.ref file.
Reboot your computer, then try updating again.

If you can't update that way, another way would be to download the
definitions file, and install them manually.

Delete the defs.ref file, then close Ad-aware SE.

Download the latest definitions file in a ZIP file from (This is a direct download):
http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Save the file to a temporary location.
When the download is complete, unzip the contents of the file to the installation directory of Ad-aware.
Default Location:
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal

Reboot, then open Ad-aware, and confirm the success of the update.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

New Ad-aware definitions are out.
SE1R125 05.10.2006

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the update tg1911.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 khristin

khristin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the Adaware SE Plus updates from within the program? I am getting the same error as Mr. Keith "error retrieving update"...Finally was able to connect to the website and dl the latest def but many of the buttons on the site are non-functional..including links to support forum.

Sure would appreciate any news on this topic.

Thanks!

kristin

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the Adaware SE Plus updates from within the program? I am getting the same error as Mr. Keith "error retrieving update".

It took me a couple of tries, but I was finally able to get the latest definitions through the program.
Since this is the first day they have been released, the servers are probably pretty busy, which could cause problems with downloads.
Just keep trying, try later tonight when they're not so busy, or try back in a couple of days.

many of the buttons on the site are non-functional..including links to support forum.

Lavasoft is in the process of redoing their website, so a lot of the links don't work.

#13 khristin

khristin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Aaargh! I guess there must be web site probs? None of the links to that latest def seem to be working?

kristin

Edit: TQ1911, thanks for your post..it has been one of those days and I guess I was freaking a bit! Will wait for later in the day..or maybe earlie... give it another try.

Thanks, and tg for user forums!

Edited by khristin, 05 October 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#14 gotaro

gotaro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

I am also having problem downloading the latest (10/5/06) definitions update. Have been trying for a few hours. First I got the progress graph stopping at 5% and then message "Error retrieving update." The next time I tried, I got the download screen, but nothing happened and then I got the message "The download definitions file could not be read please update again."
Is anyone else having same problem/result?
Thanks,
Alice

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Had the same problems.
See post #12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users