Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Religion?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

I am not very religious my other half is very much so. I have a question what to others think of the attacks on Christianity, Judaism and others ? My take is I am tired of the nonsense, if some wish to attack religion why do they not attack all variations. Is it me or am I missing something. Jews and Christian have been under attack for many years but as of late the Christians are really taking the heat. I find it very curious that Islam is attacked very little, am I Missing something? I do not condemn any as I do believe that people as a whole do have the need to believe! I have several moderate Islamic friends, even they speak out about the radicals. I have had some pretty in depth conversations about some of the teachings of the Koran, if you take the time to read some of it is very scary to a non believer! But yet in this and other countries any words spoken against Islam is frowned upon. Why is it that any other religion can have it's rights trampled upon but not Islam?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

Your perspective is not strictly yours, but that doesn't make it accurate.

Someone else just posted a very telling comic about the so-called `persecution` of Christians, who still are at the very zenith of power, in the United States (probably without ever seeing this thread):  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/671563/speaking-ill-of-the-dead-controversial-figures-who-died-recently/#entry4454476

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

Maybe its because Muslims generally will behead you instead of arguing with you because they are next level as far as religion goes mate.

I know it sounds crazy but man i hope some type of alien being comes to this planet and shows us the human race that we are such low life scum we are killing each other for oil etc not the only thing living in the unthinkably massive universe we live in.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

[Any variant on the Muslims are horrid people out to kill you.]

I would suggest that anyone who says this would judge Christians as being represented by Operation Rescue clinic bombers.   Neither is representative of the majority of adherents of either faith.

Acquaint yourself with a few followers of Islam in your own communities to see how Islamists do not represent most adherents of Islam.  They just get the most press, for obvious reasons.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

All comes in cycles, few hundred years ago christians where burning people for knowing maths and thought the earth was flat.

Simply put, i dont like religion because of the human influence and the power grab that comes with it over vulnerable people.

I help people not because im religious but because i see someone who has less than me, someone who needs a helping hand but not a hand out.

Dont have to be religious to be a good bloke!

I gave my last $50 bucks to a homeless bloke living in his car the other day, he has had a sign out front of his ute wwhere he sleeps in the back with the 2 dogs he has asking for work.

He didnt ask, i asked him how he was and he said hes doing tough, im not doing it anywhere near as bad as him and i have a roof and food so i gave him my last 50 bucks.

I would do it again and again as well. Hell i have even paid for an old lady's shopping about 2 months ago just before christmas because she didnt have enough, i ended up paying 90 bucks and she started crying.

Once again, im not religious but see a needing person so i assist.

EDIT: i forgot to mention as well britech, im not going to sit here and argue with you either and would appreciate people such as your self telling me i need to visit people who are religious or even read a bible, koran because thats the whole point of why i am responding. I dont care what people believe in but just dont come trying to sell it to me or my family and i wont bother you in return.

Cant ever recall athiests door knocking on my street!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 28 February 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

JohnnyJammer,

I suggest you read what I wrote, not what you wanted me to have written.

I am not suggesting that anyone has to have religion or get religion, but they do need to cease and desist characterizing the vast majority of the world's population, which does subscribe to one religion or another, as if the worst actors in any of those religions is representative of the majority.   It's that simple.

Believing that Islamists represent Islam as practiced by most Muslims, the radical evangelical right (as shown in the cartoon you posted) is representative of most Christian believers, and the list goes on and on is, very simply, wrong.   Having wider exposure to other people who practice religions other than one's own (or practice religion, while one personally is atheist or agnostic) is a good way of disabusing oneself of false notions.

I'm not trying to sell you anything as far as religious belief goes, and there's nothing in what I wrote before or have written here that suggests in any way that I am.

And the 'you' in what I've written above can apply to each and every person walking the earth, not just you, personally.

Edited by britechguy, 01 March 2018 - 09:36 AM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

The skeptic community from what I've seen questions all faiths not just the major ones AKA Christianity/Judaism/Islam.

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

Regarding Islam, my uncle's wife, originally born in China, has a PHD in Muslim studies, her focus on women's rights. She knows more about that religion than I could ever learn.
Just one of many that can be found re: Muhammad (and associated terrorism):
http://www.muhammadfactcheck.org/?muhammad=prophet-muhammad-taught-terrorism-and-jihad-to-conquer-the-world-for-islam

A true anecdote: I always stopped and chatted with a neighbor when walking my dog (Malamute-wolf mix, uncannily intelligent and never needed a leash) who would always proselytize, inviting me to his church where he was a Seventh Day Adventist minister.
Got tired of it and finally told him I've found my own church which I visit whenever I can. When he asked which one, I told him the high Sierra mountains with my dog, camping & backpacking. He looked confused until I asked: What do you get when you spell dog backwards?
He walked back to his porch as I overheard him say too himself about working that theory into one of his sermons. We always stopped to chat months afterward with nary an invite to his church. :)

Edited by r.a.d., 02 March 2018 - 02:15 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 Mklangelo

Mklangelo

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:51 AM

Religion is self-delusion.  Never underestimate the ability of the human mind to fool itself.  I like what Richard Dawkins says, If you don't believe in Zeus or Apollo, you're already an atheist. 

And by the way, have you heard of the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?  He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog. 

Edited by Mklangelo, 30 April 2018 - 05:58 AM.

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

#10 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Good one! And there came a vision... :)

11828973_c3694fb0b5.jpg
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#11 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

A cornucopia of thought in here, minds, nice! plus HUMOUR LOVE IT !

boo, it was going to be perfect, BUT! I lost my thinker dog statue ... this will do, I suppose.

0885bf4f86d8b826c2c332d6b84a544e.jpg

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 04 May 2018 - 08:02 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

The more fervent opponents of Christian doctrine have often enough shown a temper which, psychologically considered, is indistinguishable from religious zeal.
        ~ William James

William James was correct, and you can substitute "religion in general" for "Christian doctrine" and it remains equally true.

Zealotry, religious or otherwise, is always problematic.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

@ britechguy

In other words dogma comes in many forms not just religion.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

@SuperSapien64:  Yep.  A set of beliefs that are not to be questioned, just accepted, is dogma.  

The unexamined life is not worth living and unquestioned beliefs are not worth having.

Edited by britechguy, 04 May 2018 - 07:44 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Okay one more and I'll quit messing up this thread, such an interesting read too. Beliefs  .. not to be questioned, like regulation guidelines, okay.

Oh I like that word dogma ? somewhat like factual? so opposite of rhetoric say for instance like
potatoes potato pontiff, pontos or a potus would say as fact.  I was trying to toss in
a bit of hilarity but I'm probably dying here toss me a bone anybody! HA!

Still haven’t found my thinking dog man thinker statue oh well.

Last post I’ll quit while I’m at least not drowning HA!

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users