Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

10 Still free here is how!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Though I still refuse to go to Win 10 I found this article.

https://betanews.com/2017/01/10/upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

Though I still refuse to go to Win 10 I found this article.

https://betanews.com/2017/01/10/upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free/

assistive technologies does not work anymore and was stopped on Jan 1st of this year. Although I've heard rumors that you can still use a Windows 7 license to activate 10, but I'm not positive

Edited by Joe C, 28 February 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

Thank always good to get up to date news.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

I thought it ended on Jan 1???

I upgraded on Dec 31 :thumbup2:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

As Joe C posted it would be interesting to know if a valid Windows 7 license would still get you the upgrade. When starting the Media Creation tool there is an option to "Upgrade this PC now" in addition to creating the install media, or at least there used to be. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Has anyone seen this?

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

That's the article I was referring to. I wonder if the free upgrade still works using that method.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hopefully someone here will give it a try, but the date for this article would imply that it is current.  I don't have a machine that I'm willing to test this on at the moment.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hopefully someone here will give it a try, but the date for this article would imply that it is current.  I don't have a machine that I'm willing to test this on at the moment.

Yeah, you might do the upgrade, fire it up, and find out all your USB ports are borked.  :whistle:

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

[sarcasm inject]

How could Windows 10 trash your perfectly good pc?

Satya doesn't give a rip about your pc... Install 10 NOW!!

[/sarcasm inject]

Edited by Joe C, 28 February 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#11 athman8

athman8

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:57 AM

I am starting wondering what will happen with Windows as a product in a few years? Their naive idea was to enforce computer users to become an ad-ID and at the same time buy software from a dumbed down app store. Both are these are being fought back on as best possible. The majority of the tech-community dissaproves of the idea about windows becoming a dumber locked down iPad-equivalent and generally that filters down to the lesser tech savy and their computer usage.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,613 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

I am starting wondering what will happen with Windows as a product in a few years? Their naive idea was to enforce computer users to become an ad-ID and at the same time buy software from a dumbed down app store. Both are these are being fought back on as best possible. The majority of the tech-community dissaproves of the idea about windows becoming a dumber locked down iPad-equivalent and generally that filters down to the lesser tech savy and their computer usage.

Well, according to Microsoft the majority of users will be using "S" mode with apps only available through the store if you can believe that.  :wacko:

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

[sarcasm inject]

How could Windows 10 trash your perfectly good pc?

Satya doesn't give a rip about your pc... Install 10 NOW!!

[/sarcasm inject]

The majority of the tech-community dissaproves of the idea about windows becoming a dumber locked down iPad-equivalent and generally that filters down to the lesser tech savy and their computer usage. ShowBox Kodi Lucky Patcher

The majority of the tech community is, and will continue to be, using Windows 10 in one of its "Non-S-Mode" states.   So long as those exist, and I can't see them ever going away, I don't give a darn if Microsoft wants to waste its time and money on "Windows 10 as Windows 8 Stripped" S Mode.

Microsoft seemingly cannot accept that the niche for tablets and players has already been firmly filled with iOS and Android.  Nothing they do at this point is going to change that.  This is one of those times, having been in another mega corporation in a "past life," where the handwriting of upper level management fantasy is all over the wall.   I will bet that each and every developer of Windows S (look how quickly that was dumped as an edition) and now S Mode curses the day they were tasked to that job.

Although there are always blue-sky idiots somewhere in huge bureaucracies, be they private sector or public sector, there are untold numbers more that know exactly which side their bread is buttered on and how that butter got applied.  Windows Home, Pro, Education, & Enterprise (whether numbered 10 or not) will be with us for some time to come (even if those designations change).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

In an ideal world the majority of the tech community might ditch microsoft and switch to linux, unlikely as it may be it would serve ms right for their repeated abuse of users and constant forcing of unwelcome changes down people's throats.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Google it you are able to find thousand of articles that says 10 is still free but the truth is that the free update ended on December 31st, 2017, so now you will need to buy a license to install it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users