Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet speeds on laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PGJ

PGJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'm not sure what's going on, if it's a defect, or just some setting(s) I need to change. 

I just had a service call from my ISP come out to my house to upgrade my internet speed and troubleshoot some slowed down internet speeds I was getting.

The service was upgraded to 100Mbps and tested to acceptable ranges using his equipment. He tested the lines from the street, to the Ethernet cable that plugs in to my computer and tested good and didn't have peaks and valleys in the speed. Speeds tested up to 150Mbps with the technicians phone through wireless. The Wireless was testing faster than the wired.

He even replaced my router with a new one, just for good measure.

When it came time to end the service call, I wanted to test the site he was using with my own laptop, but the page wouldn't load. I had to tweak around with the browser to finally get it to work, but he was already gone.

I can now run one of the tests he did, on the one site, but when I test it, the speed peaks and falls and the result is slower than it should be. Almost half. I tried the test with both the wireless and Ethernet. Both were slower than they should have been. The Ethernet was only just slightly faster.

So now I'm certain that it's something with my computer and the lines going out are fine and it's not the equipment.

I need help trouble shooting this and figure out what I can do, if there is anything I can do.

Edited by sirMAXX, 27 February 2018 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

It would help if you posted the website where you are running the test from and the specific results, the make and model of this computer and what operating system you are running.

Stating that it is slower than it should be tells us nothing other than you may have an undiagnosed problem.

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

ki5z3eX.png

Place a check in the Internet Services box and then click on Scan.

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

ANXyIjJ.png

Edited by dc3, 28 February 2018 - 11:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

how old is your laptop?

is the wireless adapter in it a 802.11 a/b/g/n adapter.  if it doesn't support the (n) then you will never see anything faster then 50mb.

so check your wifi adapter and make sure it is a wireless n adapter or not.

also try connecting your laptop with a wire through the ethernet port and turn off wife and then test speeds.

#4 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

It would help if you posted the website where you are running the test from and the specific results, the make and model of this computer and what operating system you are running.

Stating that it is slower than it should be tells us nothing other than you may have an undiagnosed problem.

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

ki5z3eX.png

Place a check in the Internet Services box and then click on Scan.

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

ANXyIjJ.png

DxDiag log: https://pastebin.com/9iGFVyBu

FSS log: https://pastebin.com/Qewtmxg5

Screen shot of test used: 

internet%20speed%20test.jpg

#5 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

how old is your laptop?

is the wireless adapter in it a 802.11 a/b/g/n adapter.  if it doesn't support the (n) then you will never see anything faster then 50mb.

so check your wifi adapter and make sure it is a wireless n adapter or not.

also try connecting your laptop with a wire through the ethernet port and turn off wife and then test speeds.

Yeah. I need to find that out. I'm hoping the DxDiag will show something.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Your DXDiag log states:  Name: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

You will generally never get better than 3/4 of the advertised speed on most internet connections, even if you're using a wired connection, and it's even more iffy when wireless is involved and all the variables that affect speed come into play.

See:  http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1642166/wireless-real-world-speed.html

and https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

The second gives the best "in a nutshell" comparison between what the various wireless standards purport as far as speed in perfectly ideal conditions versus what actually happens in the real world.  The discrepancy is quite large.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

Shoot.

Well... That's rather disappointing. I spent a week trying to find out what wrong with my speed. I guess it's time for new computer.

I guess this is solved then?

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

my laptop's wireless n connection i hit about 75mb and wired straight to  the router i get full speed.

another thing you can try is tcp optimizer (no malware or anything bad in it, i use it all the time on older computers)

you select the wireless adapter then set you internet connection speed, then hit the optimizer button at the bottom then apply settings and it will change

some net settings you don't usually have access to.  and it may help.

give it a try:

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users