I'm not sure what's going on, if it's a defect, or just some setting(s) I need to change.
I just had a service call from my ISP come out to my house to upgrade my internet speed and troubleshoot some slowed down internet speeds I was getting.
The service was upgraded to 100Mbps and tested to acceptable ranges using his equipment. He tested the lines from the street, to the Ethernet cable that plugs in to my computer and tested good and didn't have peaks and valleys in the speed. Speeds tested up to 150Mbps with the technicians phone through wireless. The Wireless was testing faster than the wired.
He even replaced my router with a new one, just for good measure.
When it came time to end the service call, I wanted to test the site he was using with my own laptop, but the page wouldn't load. I had to tweak around with the browser to finally get it to work, but he was already gone.
I can now run one of the tests he did, on the one site, but when I test it, the speed peaks and falls and the result is slower than it should be. Almost half. I tried the test with both the wireless and Ethernet. Both were slower than they should have been. The Ethernet was only just slightly faster.
So now I'm certain that it's something with my computer and the lines going out are fine and it's not the equipment.
I need help trouble shooting this and figure out what I can do, if there is anything I can do.
Edited by sirMAXX, 27 February 2018 - 10:06 PM.