Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless N Connection Constantly Drops To 5.5 Mbps

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

I have been chasing an issue here for a couple of months. To be honest, I did not really recognize it prior to the Windows 10 Creator's update, but I can't verify this for sure. I know a lot of folks had networking problems after the Creator's update. I'm not sure if my issue pertains to that or if it is a coincidence.

I am running a Windows 10 Pro machine with a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. I am also using a Linksys E1200 Wireless N router which is updated to the latest firmware.  I have a MAC Address filter for only allowing certain wireless devices to connect and also use WPA2-Personal security on top of that for added security.

My internet speeds in all actuality are somewhere around 50 Mbps from Comcast cable.

The problem I am having is that my network connectivity speed will consistently drop down to 5.5 Mbps, verified through Window's Control Panel. This is not using a speed test online through my browser, but rather viewing the WiFi status window through Network and Sharing in control panel. Due to this issue, I am always checking. I can tell when it drops because streaming videos will stop/start and web pages will take longer to load.

I have unchecked that Windows can set my Broadcom WiFi card to sleep to save power, and I have tried messing around with the advanced settings in device manager for the Broadcom WiFi card.

I first started resetting my Linksys E1200 WiFi router, which would correct the problem.  I was also tweaking with the settings, changing the channel number, or just leaving it on AUTO.  That really makes no difference.  The Linksys E1200 is also set to 20/40 mhz auto, but seems to settle on 20 mhz in the Linksys system status.  I also have my Linksys E1200 set to N Only so that it is not in mixed mode.

However, recently I am not so sure that the problem necessarily lies with the Linksys router.  I can disconnect/reconnect my Desktop computer from the network, and/or disable/enable the WiFi card and the speeds will increase back up to 72 Mbps.  In the past I did see this connection speed maxing out at 150 Mbps but I have not seen that speed in more than a few weeks now.

Basically, once the speed drops to 5.5 Mbps it will not go back up unless I disconnect and reconnect to the network.

In my home, I pretty much only have 7 devices connected to the network via WiFi.  This includes my desktop computer, cell phone, WiFi thermostat, and 4 WiFi security cameras.  Unfortunately, nothing is connected to the router via Ethernet cable due to the layout of the home and the location of the WiFi devices.

Is my Router dying or is it something with my Broadcom WiFi card?  I was thinking about upgrading to a dual-band router, maybe even with Wireless AC, but I wasn't sure if that would fix the problem.  Obviously, the dual band network with 5 Ghz connectivity might benefit me but Wireless AC wouldn't since I do not have any Wireless AC compatible devices at the moment.

Please let me know what you think is going on.  It is very frustrating, as I have to disconnect/reconnect VERY often.  It has almost become second nature for me when I am using my desktop computer.

PS, I just noticed that my desktop is currently connected at 5.5 Mbps.  inSSIDer Home is currently giving me a link score of 100!  That is the highest I have ever seen it.  Normally it is around a score of 80!  inSSIDer also says that my max rate should be 144 Mbps!  -52 dBm signal, no co-channels and no overlapping channels either.

UPDATE:

Here's something else I just noticed.  I was watching a youtube video and it briefly stopped so I checked my connection status in control panel.  I was connected at 144 Mbps but the signal strength was NO bars.  I wonder if it attempted to switch over to 40 Mhz or something.  Either way, it went back down to 72 Mbps with full signal strength bars.  Still doesn't explain the drop to 5.5 Mbps which will be coming eventually.

Edited by Blaine B., 27 February 2018 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

5.5Mbps is 802.11b which should not happen if you lock the linksys to 802.11n only.

The lowest 11n will go is 6.5Mbps

I would try setting the wireless mode to mixed to see if that helps.
One more thing to try is enabling wmm under qos settings.

Finally, use 20MHz channels in the 2,4GHz band.
Using 40MHz can cause problems, even if your area isnt very crowded with other wifi networks

Hth!

tfn

#3 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

I was using mixed mode previously, now I am currently using N only.  I also have it set to force 20 mhz.  The only other option is auto for 20 OR 40 mhz, but I cannot force 40 mhz.  Does not seem to make any difference either way.

Also, WMM is enabled by default.

By the way, I know that it IS possible for the connection speed to vary based on signal quality and distance from router.  It will not always be the maximum.  However I am not sure why my speed drops to 5.5 Mbps since I am in close proximity to my router, and inSSIDer is giving me such a high score for the wireless connection.

This is very unusual.  I would buy a new router in a heartbeat if I knew that was the cause of the problem, but I'm not so sure!

Edited by Blaine B., 27 February 2018 - 08:30 PM.

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

It's kinda hard to decide which thread to follow or to follow both, since you already have another active one at https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/4-5-bars-wifi-signal-quality-low-speed-1225252.html, covering the exact same problem. May I bring to your attention this message.

#5 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

In addition to tech support forum and bleeping computer, I have also posted on metageek and over clockers club as well.

Edited by Blaine B., 01 March 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#6 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Have you tried changing to a different channel?  I use wifi network analyzer to look for channels that aren't being used.   That might help your problem too.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#7 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

I have tried all 11 channels individually as well as leaving the channel selection on Automatic.  Although some channels are better than other, overall it makes very little difference to the problem that I experience.

#8 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Thank you.  I will check it out.  To be honest, yesterday I did not have any issues with the connectivity dropping to 5.5 Mbps.  Doesn't that just figure?

#9 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

I bet that one of your devices doesn't support N standard (maybe the wifi-Thermometer drags down the transmission mode every time it updates)  and forces the router to transmit in another mode. You should try turning off all devices, if the problem does not repeat itself then - it's one of your other devices.

I'd also do the same but remove the computer from the equation to see that it's not the network card that is somehow bust, if you can recreate the problem on another device while no other devices are connected you're sure the problem isn't in your devices.

This way you'll have a better idea what part of the network to go more in depth to troubleshoot. 

#10 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

I will definitely diagnose the problem more when it happens again, but all day yesterday and today I have been connected solidly at 72 Mbps.  Which isn't technically high enough for wireless N but it is still higher than my Comcast download speed, so it is truthfully undetected!

By the way I do have my WiFi network set in N mode, not Mixed mode.  Thermostat seems to do fine.  It's a Honeywell unit.  The cameras on the other hand are some cheapies from China, they were only $15 each on eBay, but they seem to do fine as well.

Edited by Blaine B., 02 March 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#11 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Yes but a lot of routers, if you set them to N mode and then you connect devices that can't handle N standard will start using a different standard so that all units can connect.

Well, I just guessed the thermostat cause I figured it was probably the cheapest part of the system, but from what you say. You're probably right that it might as well be the cameras. 

#12 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Yes but a lot of routers, if you set them to N mode and then you connect devices that can't handle N standard will start using a different standard so that all units can connect.

Well, I just guessed the thermostat cause I figured it was probably the cheapest part of the system, but from what you say. You're probably right that it might as well be the cameras. 

The only issue there is that I have been using the cameras for over 10 months.  I didn't notice this problem last May when I installed them.  And the thermostat has been installed since February 2016.  I just don't see how I could have missed this issue considering how bad streaming video playback gets when it drops to 5.5 Mbps.

I'll be sure to check connectivity more next time, when I experience the issue again.  I also have a laptop computer that I don't have here at home but I can bring back here to diagnose the issue further.  It's an older laptop but it is running Windows 10 and has an internal Intel wireless N card.

Strange how it has occurred every single day and multiple times per day, and then these past 2 days everything is rock solid and squeaky clean!

Edited by Blaine B., 02 March 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#13 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Well, I was just streaming a YouTube video and my connectivity dropped from 72 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps.  I took some screenshots.  2 screenshots with bad connectivity and 2 screenshots with good connectivity.

The amount of wireless networks picked up does vary.  In one screenshot there are 3 networks, in another screenshot there are 8 networks, and then I saw around 18 or so (just an estimate) but they dropped off before I was able to take a screenshot.

At any one time, there was only one overlapping network, but that comes and goes.

I was able to "revive" the network by disabling and enabling the network card.  I took the "GOOD" screenshots AFTER taking the "BAD" screenshots.

I should note, I ran a speedtest on my phone while my desktop computer was having issues, and this issue does NOT affect all devices on the network.  I took a speed test on my phone sitting at my desk where my desktop computer is and then another speed test within a few feet of my wireless router and it was relatively unchanged, around 30 Mbps during both tests!

What do you make of this?  Let me know if you require any additional info!  Thanks.

Attached Files

#14 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:27 AM

You don't have a USB wifi stick? By connecting trough one you could eliminate the network card in the computer as the cause of the problems. 

Considering that you only get problems on the computer, the problem is most likely located in it.

#15 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

I do not.  I have looked at some online.  Idelly I wouldn't mind finding one that had an external antenna on a cord.  I remember back in the day, the old desktop computers with PCI WiFi cards.  Some of them had plastic antennas on the back at a 90 degree angle but others had an antenna on a cord that you could position even higher.  I also remember the old laptops with the add-on WiFi cards that stuck out the side.  Some of them had internal antennas but also had a little input on the side for plugging in another antenna for increased range.  I had a relative that had a magnetic mount antenna that he could put on the roof of his car for using WiFi while on the road.  That was pretty sweet for 2003-2004!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users