Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should I change my PSU?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 eliasgusta

eliasgusta

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

CASE               Enermax Staray 

PSU                 Corsair CP-9020048, 600W, ATX 2.3

MOBO             Gigabyte Z77-D3H, socket 1155

CPU                 Intel Core i5 3570 ivy bridge socket 1155 LGA

RAM                Dual Channel Corsair 32GB (4 x 8GB), DDR3, 1600MHz (CL11)

GPU                Radeon R9 270x

4 days ago for about 2 hours my psu fan was making a thick vibrating noise and it was strong enough that i could feel the vibration on top of my case 

next day it sort of went away, but today it was present again only briefly after resuming sleep (i never turn off computer just use sleep so i can resume quick)

i tried to stress test and see if there were any problems with fan speed or temps but even at 90%+ cpu and gpu load everything is normal so i can't explain it

it seems there are mixed feelings about my PSU but it was decent quality when i got it, never made any noise at all and the fan is super quiet even at heavy loads

-should i maybe take it in to service and have it opened see maybe there is dust somewhere or whatever else could cause the weird vibration on the fan

-maybe just acquire a new better one (please keep in mind that i do not plan to make any upgrades to this system until it outlives it's usability)

i've seen plenty of psu while googling that made either vibrating noise or coil fan noise and even a friend of mine has one that is super loud like a vacuum

so in theory a psu could be noisy in one way or another but still work fine so it's more or less a nuisance if and when it does make noise (if at all)

i also know that the safest thing to do is just buy a new better one but i am low on cash now so i guess i could take it to a pc technician and see what's up with it

this rig is 5 years old and i'm very happy with it and again, psu is super quiet but it may or may not make that vibrating noise and if it does could it be dangerous?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

a technician will likely charge you more then the thing is worth, and still may not be able to fix it,

if your short on cash just put up with the noise until you can replace it,

a PSU can store enough power to KILL YOU!!!.....even if its not plugged in.....i would not suggest trying to take it apart,

maybe remove the PSU and use a vacuum to remove dust as best you can without taking it apart

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

i'm a tech.  the noise you are hearing is probably a dirty bushing (usually copper), or if it's a plastic bushing then it's starting to go bad.

if you unplug the power supply from the wall, then try turning on the power a couple time to drain the power supply (while still unplugged, you should be fine to open it). if you remove the power supply from the case then open the power supply there is usually 4 screws that hold the fan in.  remove them and pull the fan out and measure the size of the fan, then order a replacement.  there might even be a part number on the sticker in the center of the fan that way you can get the exact same fan.

some fan's wire are just plugged in and some are soldered in.  if they are soldered you'll need to clip them leaving enough wire to attach the new fan to the old wire.

it's pretty easy to do.  your not pulling the entire circuit board out of the power supply chassis so risk of getting shocked by a capacitor is low.

and the sooner you do it the less thermal damage your going to do to the power supply.

easy repair if your comfortable opening the power supply up.

#4 eliasgusta

eliasgusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

i am still a bit confused as to why the noise appeared in the first place, was vibrating for about 3 hours i guess give or take last friday

(i may add that i monitored temps and fan speeds for psu, cpu+gpu and nothing was out of the ordinary)

then it went away almost for good, heard it 2 more times randomly but it went away fairly quick then today for about 5 minutes after i woke the pc from sleep

saturday and sunday the pc ran for 10 hours a day and except a brief moment for about 10 minutes on saturday it is going as smooth as when it was new

@mikey11 my friend is working in IT he will not overcharge me should i decide to take it in for a check up

@mightywiz at the moment i don't think anything is wrong with it and i wouldn't be comfortable opening it up myself

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

Mightywiz gave you good advice.

Do not ignore that noise; there is a bearing that is failing in the vent fan. Eventually the fan will gradually spin at lower rpm's, and the PS will get hot because there is less air movement to cool it. If you let it run this way it will eventually short out and anything could happen then. I had one once years ago, and I procrastinated fixing it. One day there was a pop noise, a cloud of smoke out of the power supply, and the computer shut down. I lucked-out, no damage to my motherboard and the OS did not corrupt. It could have been a lot worse, I could have lost my RAM and motherboard.

Opening a PS is very easy, and usually these fans are plugged in. 3 or 4 screws hold the fan and are easy to remove. Follow Mightywiz' directions above, and don't do anything stupid like sticking your finger on the capacitors or in the middle of the circuit board. You will be fine.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 eliasgusta

eliasgusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

maybe there is something up with it but why is it only briefly after waking computer up from sleep?

same other days too, run 5-6 hours no noise runs as smooth as new every temp and fan speed normal

there were random brief vibrations that did not last long at all (except on friday when it was 2-3 hours or so)

will probably take it to my friend that works in it and see what's up with it he won't charge me

it would maybe be easy for me to do it too but i rather not do that by myself

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

will probably take it to my friend that works in it and see what's up with it he won't charge me

it would maybe be easy for me to do it too but i rather not do that by myself

no offense...but....

if you have a friend who is a tech and won't charge you.....why are you asking these questions here?

#8 eliasgusta

eliasgusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

he lives in another city, won't go there for a while now and i wanted to see if i could get more opinions on this

i also do my fair share of googling and it seems to be pretty hard to tell exactly what it could be wrong with it

you never know when and where you can find somebody that has had a similar problem and could give you good advice

same deal today, brief vibrations after waking up pc from sleep and then they are gone

(reminds me of an old car my grandfather had that required a 5 minute warmup before it could be used)

again, fan speeds and temps are normal for everything so i guess i'm not going to do anything yet

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

Would weigh up the cost of travelling to see your friend to get the PSU checked against the cost of a new PSU, as mentioned at your other thread the CX range of PSUs are not the best and have in fact been re-categorised to tier 4 on the Toms guide here

Tier Four

Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice.

#10 eliasgusta

eliasgusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

finally found a clip for same model of PSU (i shortened just the part that shows the inside of the psu)

there would be nothing dangerous if i only do what the guy did in that clip

i think i will try what wiz said and just open it maybe there will be dust somewhere and i can remove it for an easy fix

if that won't be the case i should try and order a new fan and replace it i guess? or maybe it's not the fan that is faulty

the exact same model would be easy to replace because by the looks it's just remove plug and plug new one back in

this also could be an option, not sure what kind of oil i would use tho

Edited by eliasgusta, 12 March 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#11 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

I've used sewing machine oil for fans and yes, it does work really well

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Not trying to be the negative here or bashing Joe C advice.

I have also used sewing machine oil although it is only a temporary fix as when the bushings / bearings reach the point where they become dry they are worn out and will continue to get worse.

Based from my experience.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Not trying to be the negative here or bashing Joe C advice.

I have also used sewing machine oil although it is only a temporary fix as when the bushings / bearings reach the point where they become dry they are worn out and will continue to get worse.

Based from my experience.

I'll add as a preventive maintenance for your pc fans. I've seen dust and other crap get in that little bearing and I've seen those little buggers run dry too, and that'll cause the fan to run erratic. The light oil will only get you by for a short while if the bearing is truly damaged, but it can buy you some time to get another fan

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

As for replacing the PSU it is not that hard to do yourself.

Yes its a bit tricky especially if its your first time but nothing too complex.

You dont need a degree in IT or years of computer service experience, it really isnt that hard to change out a PSU

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#15 eliasgusta

eliasgusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

thinking about it more, oiling the fan would probably not be a good idea in the long run

fans are cheap for about 5$ i could get a new one and be well better off

standard size for psu fan would be 80*80 and i should get the same model i guess

i've built systems before from scratch and did everything myself but not opening up a psu

power of google is amazing but also forums like this where people are knowledgeable and helpful

i actually want to do this myself now, man up and fix it and i will once i can find a new fan

don't think i will find one in my local city and ordering online will cost more than the fan itself, sadly

so my question would be what kind of fan to order? try and find exact same model or perhaps a better one

also i wouldn't have to solder anything right? just remove old fan place new one and plug&play

thanks all for your input, i am slowly but surely working my way to fixing it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users