Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 font issue.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 g_fen10

g_fen10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

This is a quite minor issue and I could probably get used to it in time, but every since i upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 I noticed a slight difference in the text. Like, it's a lot thinner? Its not that it's jagged or anything of that sort. Just a lot thinner. Same font, settings within the program and everything. I noticed this in some programs such as a program called 'WSplit' which I use as a timer to speedrun. Specifically the numbers. Like I said, minor issue, but it'd be nice if someone could tell me if this is reversable or if i'll just have to deal with the thinner text.

Comparisons: Win 7 - http://prntscr.com/ikibdm

Win 10 - http://prntscr.com/ikiboz

If any additional information is needed please ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Try adjusting cleartype: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-easier-read-using-cleartype-windows-10

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

Also, what is your screen resolution set to?

A lot of people set their screen resolution to be slightly lower than it actually could be in order to make things appear larger.  If you did that under Windows 7 a long, long time ago it's easy to forget you ever did it.   You might also have changed some of the system fonts, but this doesn't look like a Windows dialog in the screen shots, so that shouldn't be at play in this case.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

Also, what is your screen resolution set to?

A lot of people set their screen resolution to be slightly lower than it actually could be in order to make things appear larger.  If you did that under Windows 7 a long, long time ago it's easy to forget you ever did it.   You might also have changed some of the system fonts, but this doesn't look like a Windows dialog in the screen shots, so that shouldn't be at play in this case.

My screen res is set to 1920x1080, its native res. I've tried setting to something lower but that didn't seem to change anything

Cleartype was already enabled, and i've tried various combinations but however it didn't seem to make a difference.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

My only other theory is you might have been using the "Scale & Layout" setting (under Windows 10 in Settings -> System -> Display), which I believe existed all the way back in Windows 7.  Try throwing that to 125% to see what the change looks like.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

My only other theory is you might have been using the "Scale & Layout" setting (under Windows 10 in Settings -> System -> Display), which I believe existed all the way back in Windows 7.  Try throwing that to 125% to see what the change looks like.

No effect. It seems like it has to do with the way W10 handles fonts. Its the same exact font as on my W7 comp. Same version and all. Same program. Same settings.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Well, my only other suggestion, should you wish to try to remedy the situation, is to try WinAero Tweaker.  It's a great utility that gives you back a lot of the fine-grained control over display fonts (and a lot of other things, too) that disappeared in Windows 8 and 10.

I understand entirely how exquisitely sensitive one can become to having things look the way one is used to and the desire to get that back.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Messed around with this program specifically searching for 'text' and options related, but to no avail. And once again, like I said, this is a minor issue which I can learn to cope with, however its just my preference to have the bolder looking text.

Here's another example with a different font just to show its not different fonts: 

Win 10 - https://prnt.sc/ikj3pu

Win 7 - https://prnt.sc/ikj5j1

#9 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

Messed around with this program specifically searching for 'text' and options related, but to no avail. And once again, like I said, this is a minor issue which I can learn to cope with, however its just my preference to have the bolder looking text.

Here's another example with a different font just to show its not different fonts: 

Win 10 - https://prnt.sc/ikj3pu

Win 7 - https://prnt.sc/ikj5j1

Another thing to note is with the windows 7 ss, you can see that the colors on the timer kind of "pop out" and blend smoother compared to w10. Could possibly have an effect on the text.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

You have never given the system specs for either system under discussion.  It would be helpful if you could publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message for each of the systems under discussion.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions

for doing this:
                     - Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

This can be hardware driven, and it's just as likely that it is as is not, rather than OS driven.   Also, the actual display being used can have a big influence, too [which is also "hardware driven" but external to what Speccy is going to reveal].

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hYpb4j07hli4hXyJmmy4oD6 - win10

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JP6B4O8sOXLoHsH4gzzKW8H - win7

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the Speccy snapshots, which I have not reviewed in detail yet and may not get back to until later, as I gotta run.

I am guessing that the Win10 machine is not actually a tablet, but probably an all-in-one and the Win7 machine is a laptop.  The Win7 machine has a native resolution of 1280x800, while the Win10 machine has a native resolution of 1920x1080.  This will directly affect how everything, including text, is displayed and it will appear smaller (and, of course, thinner) on a higher resolution display than a lower resolution one.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the Speccy snapshots, which I have not reviewed in detail yet and may not get back to until later, as I gotta run.

I am guessing that the Win10 machine is not actually a tablet, but probably an all-in-one and the Win7 machine is a laptop.  The Win7 machine has a native resolution of 1280x800, while the Win10 machine has a native resolution of 1920x1080.  This will directly affect how everything, including text, is displayed and it will appear smaller (and, of course, thinner) on a higher resolution display than a lower resolution one.

Thanks for all your trouble, I look forward to hearing back and seeing what you find.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Well, I believe I've found what I need to find.  Everything you're seeing can be directly explained by nothing more than differences in the native resolution of the monitors being used.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 g_fen10

g_fen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Well, I believe I've found what I need to find.  Everything you're seeing can be directly explained by nothing more than differences in the native resolution of the monitors being used.

And that might just be the case. If it is, i'll deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users