Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Vista Or Not Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

I am going to be cautious and wait about a year or more before I switch to VISTA. I would like to see all the bugs ironed out first. Besides- Window XP is great, why change abruptly to something else. MGBY.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mgee16

mgee16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

I am sick of this. just when XP is stable we need to go through a years worth (at least) of unstable drivers and glitches. I bought a MAC today and am going to try and make the change over to it.

#3 _53V3N_

_53V3N_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

My neighbor is running Vista on one of his machines. After interacting with OS I can't say that I would be interested in running it even if/when the bugs are worked out. Not impressed, actually, un-impressed.

But don't give up hope. Give MS another decade or so and maybe they'll launch something worthwhile.

P.S. running XP Pro on various machines.
Everything is relative said the speed of light...

#4 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

i am running vista a two different pc,rc1 and rc2,i am very impressed.rc1 is running on an amd 64 semperon with 1 gig of ram.rc2 is running on an amd 1800 duron with 1 gig of ram.first one has areo glass the second one don't.i only had a few bugs,found free software for vista.
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

Vista RC2 is running very well on my primary PC. If it continues to be stable for the next couple of days it'll become my primary OS shortly.

FWIW - since most of my PC work revolves around support forums, I figure that I should switch in order to become more familiar with it before it debuts.

Since new PC's will shortly come with it pre-installed, I'm suspecting that we'll see a great increase in the number of questions posted on forums like these.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

You are right usasma.

The simple matter of fact though is that most users dont know basic Windows anyway.

Pick ten people at random. Ask them to copy and paste anything from one place to another. They dont know how to do it.

Ask them also how to put the Programs menu in alphabetical order.
They dont know how to do it.

What is the difference between a right mouse click and a left?
That is a tough one! They dont know.

Ask them what the clipbard is.
They dont know.

Why do we need a new version of Windows when most home users dont know the basics of Windows anyway?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

EYESEE: WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR FACTS??? would you mind expound on that or enlighten us as to why you applied such broad, broad, broad brush! As to why this world need to progress forward or having VISTA in the horizon?? think about it . Thanks. YOYO. :huh: :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:58 AM

There's a broad range of folks out there with differing computer abilities. I've got an online friend that I met about a year ago who did have troubles like Eyesee described. But she's come a long way since then and is now able to do quite a lot (and even helps her friends out).

What distinguishes a lot of these folks is their attitude towards computers. Those who come to online forums and help sites generally have the desire to learn about PC's and hopefully fix them.

Other folks (my brother and sister are in this group) prefer to just have someone fix it - and not bother them with the details.

Neither way is right or wrong - they're just different ways of solving problems.

As for Vista - it will be much easier for the novice PC user to learn and use than the previous MS OS's. Even old f*rts like me can make the transition fairly easily. It's much easier than the transition that I had to make from Win98 to Win2K.

Taking a close look at the Vista OS, you'll see many, many things that are reminiscent of XP - and for good reason. Why make a completely new tool when you've got an existing one that works pretty well? For example, the Event Viewer in XP is fairly good, but lacks some details. So MS took the basic Event Viewer and added some code to make it better. Not only does this make Vista a bit more "useable", but it also eases the transition from XP to Vista since a lot of the interface is familiar.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

I dont want to rub anyone the wrong way or anything. My goal is to help people.
My facts are based on almost twenty years doing tech support every day.

There are multiple levels of users and skill levels, of course.
Most computer users are not techs nor power users.

Most end users dont know and dont care what version of Windows they are running.
All they want to do is email the kids, type a letter every once in a while and print photos etc.
Typical home or business use.

One must tech for the lowest common denominator, the typical end user.
One never knows what skill level they are.

The end users dont care what version of Windows they are running so long as it does what they want.

Newer does not mean better!
That is what I am saying

Edited by Eyesee, 12 October 2006 - 09:48 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

Yep, I agree! :huh: 'nuff said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users