Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it safe and where to find it - produkey

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

On the superficial level, it appears that "Produkey" is what I am looking for - a software that can provide the product keys for the software that I installed legally in my other HD.

Questions are

(1) is produkey safe ?

(2) where can I download a safe/clean produkey (as bleeping computer download section does not host it) ?

(3) can I use the found keys to install the same software in another HD ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

You can find your product key by using any number of utilities or programs.

If you install Speccy...and look at the detail for your Windows install...it will show the applicable key.  Do not create a Snapshot...the Snapshot function does not show the key, since it is for public viewing and showing the key in such a view would be foolish.

Louis.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

1: Yes but your AV may flag it a false positive or PUP (Possible Unwanted Program)

2: Download from the Developer, Nirsoft.

3: Produkey will only find Windows and Office keys. You can't use the key for Windows on another computer unless it's retail. 

#4 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

You can also use Magical Jelly Bean or Belarc Advisor.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

I'll second Belarc Advisor.

That being said, and I'm reading between the lines, but are you planning on swapping out the hard drive in your computer for another one (or an SSD)?  If so save yourself a lot of trouble with regard to product keys and licensing by simply cloning your existing hard drive to the new one and, if needed [and I suspect it is], expanding the C: partition to take advantage of the additional space.

It's far easier than starting completely from scratch, without an OS, and reinstalling everything by hand.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

I'll second Belarc Advisor.

That being said, and I'm reading between the lines, but are you planning on swapping out the hard drive in your computer for another one (or an SSD)?  If so save yourself a lot of trouble with regard to product keys and licensing by simply cloning your existing hard drive to the new one and, if needed [and I suspect it is], expanding the C: partition to take advantage of the additional space.

It's far easier than starting completely from scratch, without an OS, and reinstalling everything by hand.

Thanks a lot, guys

To clarify, indeed I am swapping out my old hard drive for a new one (still HDD). I don't need keys for Windows and Office but do need keys, if available, for other software.

@ britechguy, if I understand your response correctly (hopefully), are you saying that if I create a new partition in the new HDD and clone the whole old hard driven to the new partition, I can run programs in the old hard drive without problems ??? I was told that software with a key has a way to determine if it is running in the "original" machine or in a "new" machine. If it senses that it's being run in a "new" machine, the key will be needed for it to be run in the new machine ???? Is this true ????

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

OK, let's be clear here.

Changing out a HDD for another HDD in the same computer does not make the operating system think it's in "a new machine."

What you have been told is accurate, as far as it goes.  Were you trying to use a different machine than the one that Windows (I presume) and all your application programs are now installed on you would need new license keys for Windows itself (or to have the one that was related to the "new" machine if it's actually "new to you" if you're reinstalling Windows and the original license was retail, not OEM) and for all the various programs.

If you are simply upgrading (or even downgrading) your HDD, so long as the target HDD in the clone process is large enough to handle all of the content from the source HDD you just need to clone the original source to the new target.  That new target is "plug n' play" so long as the machine it's being plugged in to is the one from which the source HDD was obtained.

You do not clone an old drive to a partition on a new drive.  The cloning process duplicates, exactly, what is on the old/source drive on the new/target drive.  After that process is complete most cloning software will also allow you to repartition the target drive to take advantage of the additional space you have if the target drive is larger than the source drive.  If you use something that doesn't allow this as part of the cloning process, then you can use the partition manager of your choosing to do the repartitioning after the newly cloned drive has been installed.

If you have additional questions with regard to drive cloning I suggest you review some of the recent content in the Backup, Imaging, and Disk Management Software forum and, if your question is still unanswered then post a new topic there.  We're reaching well beyond "Tips n' Tricks" now and delving deep into disk management/imaging.

Edited by britechguy, 03 March 2018 - 11:06 AM.
Addendum about Backup forum

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

You can get produkey here:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

And yes, it is safe to use. You can even get your Windows version and office key from a windows hard drive that will not boot into windows. I recently used produkey to upgrade an older Vista laptop to Windows 7 by retrieving the office key to download the proper version of office from Microsoft using their key on that laptops hard drive

Edited by Joe C, 23 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

I will add to Joe's comment that I have never had a single problem with anything that Nirsoft (written by Nir Sofer) produces.   All of it has worked as advertised without any "ulterior aspects" at all.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

I will add to Joe's comment that I have never had a single problem with anything that Nirsoft (written by Nir Sofer) produces.   All of it has worked as advertised without any "ulterior aspects" at all.

Same here, had an issue with a prior version being detected by ESET, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Anti Malware, must have obtained it from another source. 

Just downloaded from link above (zip file for portability), no red flags, showed both my Windows & MS Office keys. :)

Will be quarantining & deleting the other version(s) that were flagged & I've allowed to remain on drive. I also second Belarc Advisor, have been using this tool for years. Provides a lot of valuable data, to include installed software that's not accessed & can uninstall if desired. Also shows any USB devices plugged in, a security feature. This can allow one to see if any not owned by the user were plugged in behind our backs, possibly for malicious purposes. Belarc is a must have for most anyone with a computer, will notify of missing updates, although some may be false alarms (update doesn't apply to the OS when download & attempted install). 

Just keep in mind that with OEM computers, the key shown cannot be used on another. Unless an upgrade feature COA that allows for transfer, after a reinstall (or old backup image restored), please read the EULA for details. Phone activation of these type of COA's may be needed if installed on another computer. When calling the activation center, just answer 'one' at first question, this prevents long delays & can reactivate in under 10 minutes. All that's required is the manual entry of digits in each group of blocks, one at a time. There's an option to repeat if can't type fast enough or to ensure what's entered is correct. If not mistaken, there's 7-8 blocks that requires 6-7 digits in each, this is what takes the most time. After that, one will then hit the activation tab, should be a success if all is legit.

If not, will be transferred to an agent, it's been since back in the pre-Windows 7 days since I've had to speak with one in regards to this matter. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 March 2018 - 11:42 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

Same here, had an issue with a prior version being detected by ESET, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Anti Malware, must have obtained it from another source. 

Just downloaded from link above (zip file for portability), no red flags, showed both my Windows & MS Office keys. :)

Will be quarantining & deleting the other version(s) that were flagged & I've allowed to remain on drive. I also second Belarc Advisor, have been using this tool for years. Provides a lot of valuable data, to include installed software that's not accessed & can uninstall if desired. Also shows any USB devices plugged in, a security feature. This can allow one to see if any not owned by the user were plugged in behind our backs, possibly for malicious purposes. Belarc is a must have for most anyone with a computer, will notify of missing updates, although some may be false alarms (update doesn't apply to the OS when download & attempted install). 

Just keep in mind that with OEM computers, the key shown cannot be used on another. Unless an upgrade feature COA that allows for transfer, after a reinstall (or old backup image restored), please read the EULA for details. Phone activation of these type of COA's may be needed if installed on another computer. When calling the activation center, just answer 'one' at first question, this prevents long delays & can reactivate in under 10 minutes. All that's required is the manual entry of digits in each group of blocks, one at a time. There's an option to repeat if can't type fast enough or to ensure what's entered is correct. If not mistaken, there's 7-8 blocks that requires 6-7 digits in each, this is what takes the most time. After that, one will then hit the activation tab, should be a success if all is legit.

If not, will be transferred to an agent, it's been since back in the pre-Windows 7 days since I've had to speak with one in regards to this matter. :)

Cat

Last time I called Microsoft to validate an install, they sent me a text on my cell phone of that 10,000 digit code. Made installing the new code very easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users