Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your microsoft account must be repaired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pesche1

pesche1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

Hi community

A friend of mine has bought a new computer, a HP AllinOne (i5-7400T) with windows 10 (and now we have installed the fall creators update) and gets now all the time the message that her microsoft account has to be repaired. When I click on the message then a window opens, Gemeinsame Nutzung (probably something like common usage in English) although she doesn't use any other devices. I've already defined her phonenumber in her microsoft account, but it didn't help, I've changed her password in the microsoft account, but when she logs in on the computer it's still the old one.

Can anybody tell me if this is a message she just can ignore or do we really have to do something to get rid of this message?

Thank you for your help, best regards

pesche1

Edited by pesche1, 27 February 2018 - 03:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shellfishclive

Shellfishclive

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:11 AM

It sounds like it could be a problem with her profile. She might need to create another local account on that machine with administrator rights, login into that account then delete her old profile via control panel > system > advanced system settings > user profiles and then her old account.

The message itself isn't something to worry too much about but worth fixing.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Also, there's nothing odd about the machine itself accepting the existing password until and unless she actually uses the new one, which, by the way, "seals the deal" as far as linking the Microsoft Account in the cloud back to the machine.

I have told others that if they wish to have a different password on their computer than on the online Microsoft Account all they need to do is change the password of the Microsoft Account but use the existing password on the computer.   It will continue accepting the existing password until the new one is entered and can be verified against what's on the Microsoft Account itself.

There has to be a local copy of your password on a Windows 10 computer for a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account since it is often necessary to log in to one's machine when there is no internet access.  When you enter anything other than what the machine knows as its current local password it will try to verify that against the Microsoft Account password.  If it matches, the local copy gets replaced with what's on the Microsoft Account and your former password will no longer work on subsequent log in attempts.  But if it doesn't match the only thing that will end up being accepted is the password that is stored on the computer itself.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 pesche1

pesche1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately we had other problems and she was not able to start her computer any more, so I had to reload a backup from 2 weeks ago, now everyhing works fine again. So this topic can be closed.

Best regards

pesche1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users