Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 MAIL program not allow message to open a second time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:58 AM

Any of them.  I can open any message ONE time and read it; but if I want to open the same message again, nothing.  No open.  There is no button for "Open" and if double click on message entry, still no open.  WHAT am I missing?  This mail "app" seems very bad.  I can open any message any time in Thunderbird, but this Windows 10 Mail program is terrible.

Neither do I find any TO address or FROM address; only brief screen/usernames.  Neither any way to see message details like all that data that is always given with an email message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shellfishclive

Shellfishclive

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:13 AM

The mail app on Windows 10 isn't the greatest app in the world, it basically had zero features making it very unappealing to anyone. It's best to just use your email providers solution.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

The mail app on Windows 10 isn't the greatest app in the world, it basically had zero features making it very unappealing to anyone. It's best to just use your email providers solution.

The email providers have no solution.  They only offer web mail  (or some services also) but do not make for automatic download of mail messages.  That downloading is what email CLIENT programs are for.   I was hoping I could do that with the test account using  Windows 10 Mail program.  Maybe I should instead try this with Opera Mail or with Thunderbird.  I still need or want to be sure I know where the downloaded emails will be stored on my local machine.  I will only have one shot for POP in downloading the messages because once I ask for them, they will be gone from the web space and somewhere then on the computer, so I need to know where/what directory path.  (Maybe an internet search for that).  I wanted to do this all with Windows 10 Mail because it is already on my Windows 10 machine; I wish to learn to use the program; I would not need to use or install Opera or T-bird onto this machine. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

So, what's wrong with webmail?   There's no inherent advantage to having the messages downloaded to your machine if you have internet access, and most webmail interfaces now have settings to allow some set amount of messages, usually driven by date, to be downloaded to the machine for offline access.

I would never, ever, use POP unless it's the only protocol a given e-mail service provider has, and there are very, very few for whom that's the case these days.  You should not be concerned about exactly where your e-mail client stores anything, as that's what it does behind the scenes, and any attempt to play with its message databases is bound to end in tears.

The Windows 10 Mail App is not a full-featured e-mail client.  If you're used to Outlook (as in the program that's part of Office), Thunderbird, Opera Mail, or another e-mail client elsewhere you'd be far better off to download and install it on your current machine.  You would also be well-advised to set each and every machine that's accessing the same e-mail account(s) to use IMAP access to get to them so that you don't end up with the insanity that generally comes from using POP access on multiple machines and having missing messages on all of them depending on when the other(s) downloaded messages.   IMAP dispenses with all that mess, and when it became obvious that most people wanted to be able to access the same accounts from multiple devices that's one of the reasons IMAP came into being.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

Perhaps give OEClassic a try

https://www.oeclassic.com

Where the downloaded emails would be on your machine if using this

https://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-store-folder

0 user(s) are reading this topic