Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Windows 10 MAIL program has account type other than IMAP or POP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:18 AM

I tried the Mail "app" for the first time yesterday.  Along with some trouble making sure the account setup worked and up to date, the way the account being tested was added to Mail, no indication of if as POP or as IMAP.  There is only shown, "sync".  I looked at the settings in Mail app for the test account and adjusted them so that ALL the email messages are shwon listed.  

As far as I can tell, the computer has NO email messages from the test account on it.  I drive into C,....comms/unistore,.... and all I find in the finest parts are a bunch of *.dat files, all or each of them very small, 1 kb or so.  NO OTHER FILES FOUND.  These cannot possibly be email messages.  

I therefore do not really know how to use this "app" for Mail.  I can see listings of the messages; all there; and I can read any that I want.  BUT I do not HAVE the emails on the computer and I do not know if the setup is POP or IMAP.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

The Windows 10 Mail App is very good at detecting what settings are necessary for a given e-mail service provider, and will always favor IMAP over POP if IMAP is available.

I am not on my machine with the Win10 Mail App configured (and, for the record, I don't like the Win10 mail app) but it is possible to look at the account settings in the Mail App to see what access method is being used, but I can't replicate the steps necessary to get to those at the moment.  See these search results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Windows+10+Mail+App+account+settings&t=hg&atb=v91-1&ia=web

One of them is almost certain to show you how to look at the details with regard to your account settings.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Still a bit confusing.  I could stop worrying about the use of Mail program in Windows 10.

The goal is to download ALL email messages from the test account and have them locally on the computer (or copied also onto a usb flashddrive or something) and eventually delete the email account from the hosting site.  The account is a ymail email account which I do not use except for occasional testing/trying of things.  

IMAP would be fine, I guess but I talked of POP in the belief that POP would truely give me all of the emails in the account and put them onto the local machine.  As I best understand, IMAP does not do that.  User needs to individually open every single message in the account, and I don't want to do that.  I want ALL of the content of the account - Sent, Inbox, Junk/Bulk, Drafts, ,... any folders there, whatever.  I then want later to be able to open the email client, and read any, all, or each of any messages and not be missing anything.  Including any uploaded and downloaded files that were done when the account was in use.  

Once I have the entire contents of the email account from ymail actually ON my local machine or/and other storage, I can delete the account at ymail.  It is an account that I'll no longer want so no interest in keeping it.

"Message Headers" and "cache" confuse me, and they seem to be abbreviations of the email messages but not all of the full set of email messages in a form that you can have taken from the on-line account to the local machine.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:04 AM

Maybe maybe maybe maybe, I might've found what I want:

In Thunderbird?

1. Click on account name in left panel
  2. Look in Advanced Features section, click on offline settings
  3. Account Settings window opens; Synchronisation and Storage is highlighted
  4. Shown is Keep Messages on This computer; synchrinize all regardless of age; don't delete messages; always keep starred messages
  5. Click "Advanced" button
  6. Next window opens, titled "Choose folders for offline use"
  7. If expand the desired email account item, there are checkboxes for the folders, only Bulk and Trash not having check marks.

If I now accept or add check marks were desired, and click the OK button,... will that give me ALL content for the account onto my local computer?  Could I then use Thunderbird or ANY other email client to read any and all parts of the accounts messages, even if later I delete my ymail account at ymail?

This feels like a dumb question but I ask just to be sure I understand.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Different e-mail clients use different storage formats for message archives, so I would not count on being able to read messages in any client other than the one used to download them.

I have also never tried to delete an account on the server side or "break the link" in an e-mail client between an existing account and its server.  If I'm really done with an e-mail address it and its contents get deleted after I've forwarded whatever I really think I might need from it to whatever address I will be using going forward.  I also have several dormant accounts which still exist, and still get some junk mail, but that anyone who actually needs to communicate with me will not be using.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users