Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Topic: LMDE

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hello Linux Users,

Anyone ever tried or used or using LMDE.

I'm thinking about giving the new LMDE 3 a test drive when the stable version is released in the next months and wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

LMDE is fine but the only issue i have is that like debian itself its too stable for its own good.

No third party PPA's either, sure the debian base is reliable but the Ubuntu based version does have the PPAs advantage and updates come far more often on the Ubuntu edition

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

Hey MadmanRB,

Yes Debian is rock solid stable.

I try and stay with software from the repository so PPA's or lack of 3rd party PPA's probably wouldn't be an issue.

I agree the software in the Debian repos may not be newest although reliable and I don't need to have the latest software.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

Hello Linux Users,

Anyone ever tried or used or using LMDE.

I'm thinking about giving the new LMDE 3 a test drive when the stable version is released in the next months and wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks

Well I've given LMDE 2 a try and as a Live DVD or Live USB it works well. :thumbup2:

When I tried to install on several different computers it always comes up with errors :scratchhead: and fails to complete the install so obviously LMDE 2 hates all of my computers and the hardware I have. :angry: 

What I don't understand is Debian and Linux Mint and other Linux Distros all install and work on these same computers. :scratchhead:

Not impressed with LMDE 2. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

I would like to try it as a dual boot with Windows 10 (or 7), there's no precise articles or instructions on how to do so. :)

Much of the Linux related content I see on the Internet are centered around Ubuntu based distros. Really, if one can run Ubuntu, can run any of the variants built upon it, to include the popular Linux Mint. 

LMDE was created & maintained as a fallback option should Ubuntu become forked (or subscription based). This way, Linux Mint can still exist. Yet there needs to be more instructions posted as to how to install the OS. Once that's done, unless LMDE becomes broken, doesn't need reinstall, a rolling release. Anyone who knows of a good article on how to dual boot LMDE, please post. I'm game for the distro. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

Believe me installing and dual booting LMDE is almost identical to the Ubuntu version, though the installer is a bit different:

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 March 2018 - 03:37 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Really, if one can run Ubuntu, can run any of the variants built upon it, to include the popular Linux Mint. 

Cat

If it were only true.

You may have better luck than I had using all of your brand new latest hardware although hard to say until you have tried and succeeded.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Believe me installing and dual booting LMDE is almost identical to the Ubuntu version, though the installer is a bit different:

Yep that's what I thought and that's the exact video I followed except he is installing in a virtual environment.

I know the Linux Mint forum is filled with LMDE users although I have yet to find any anywhere who can tell me how to get around my input / output error.

Same input / output error on several different computers.

Too many other good Linux Distros that install and work right out of the box which a user doesn't have to rewrite or repair to get it to install and run.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Well they may address that in LMDE3.

Dont know yet, but they will have to address it if ubuntu ever goes down.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

It's kinda strange that a bunch of users and no solutions.

OH well as mentioned earlier to many other out of the box working Linux Distros to choose so no need to waste any time on the ones that don't work.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:50 AM

Really, if one can run Ubuntu, can run any of the variants built upon it, to include the popular Linux Mint. 

Cat

If it were only true.

You may have better luck than I had using all of your brand new latest hardware although hard to say until you have tried and succeeded.

Well, if my luck is better, it's not all on 'newer hardware' (unless 2008 through 2010 machines are considered such), can install most any Ubuntu based distro with little instruction. Some will appear better than others, depending on graphic card or onboard chip installed, yet most uses the standard Ubuntu installer, each distro will show it's final touches after startup & updating. Note that most of my Linux distros are installed on older (SATA-2) hardware, not the newest, first to ensure best machine compatibility, secondly it's much harder to configure 4K graphics (an auto adjustment on Windows). :)

As far as LMDE goes, the best I've done is installing to a 32GiB USB stick (with SATA cable from other drives disconnected) or virtual machine. I've not found any simple way for dual booting, like that which the Ubuntu installer provides. That issue & that only is why I don't have at least one LMDE install in usage. 

Since this Discussion Topic is in regards to LMDE, may as well keep it as such, hopefully others who has had success with both a solo install & dual booters will drop in with some tips. :)

One thing to remember, even the now great Ubuntu was based from Debian & why we have .deb installers for popular software choices. If it weren't for Debian, we'd have to make more use of PPA's to install a lot of software, taking on more risk with each added. However, I do like the security that Debian adds by not allowing for PPA's, especially in a World where one bad choice can leave us open for a successful attack. Debian chose to close this hole before opened, wise move on part of their developers. 

If the Mint team can modify the installer to be a bit user friendly w/out compromising the security of LMDE in any way, I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

If the Mint team can modify the installer to be a bit user friendly w/out compromising the security of LMDE in any way, I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

Cat

And this I believe is where the real problem is, in the installer.

While Linux Mint Developers may have it together with the regular Linux Mint Distros they don't have it together where LMDE is concerned imo.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

While Linux Mint Developers may have it together with the regular Linux Mint Distros they don't have it together where LMDE is concerned imo.

Maybe with LMDE 3, Clem will fix the issue, will be leaving him feedback on it today. If he truly wants a 'fallback distro', ease of install must be top priority. :)

Otherwise, should the Mint team have to use the LMDE option, many will revert back to Ubuntu or another Linux distro. 

Cat

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

Hey cat1092,

I have always wondered why the Linux Mint Devs have an ease of use installer for the Linux Mint 18 series and not for LMDE which is can be a PITA for those who are unfamiliar on how to partition a hard drive.

Kinda makes you wonder if LMDE only wants a more experienced user base for LMDE and not any dumb novice user as myself. :scratchhead:

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Hey cat1092,

I have always wondered why the Linux Mint Devs have an ease of use installer for the Linux Mint 18 series and not for LMDE which is can be a PITA for those who are unfamiliar on how to partition a hard drive.

Kinda makes you wonder if LMDE only wants a more experienced user base for LMDE and not any dumb novice user as myself. :scratchhead:

That makes two of us that feels the same way. :)

Having to relearn how to install LMDE, to include partitioning, can be a pain once we're used to doing things the way we have for years. :(

I believe that Clem should had addressed this before making LMDE an official Mint flavor & most certainly hope so by the time LMDE 3 is released. The way it is now, the only ones who prefers LMDE over pure Debian are likely in for the artwork & whatever other touches the Mint team provided. That's not going to cut it as a fallback distro, should the Mint team really need LMDE. 

When it comes to Debian, I'm as much of a novice as anyone, having only booted a Live DVD a couple of times & created a VM once & that didn't properly work. So there's evidently more to it than an automatic installer on a blank drive, otherwise, the VM would had fired right up. 

As soon as I get off of this forum, am headed to the Mint one (not the larger one that most knows of), there's a Community Forum where Clem monitors posts, listens & occasionally responds to members & also posts himself. 

https://community.linuxmint.com/

If by chance I can't get an answer there, will post on their larger forum. Yet will have to leave 'dual boot with Windows' out or will not be answered. If I can learn how to install, the rest can be figured out. 

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

This kind of describes our Linux community user base. The majority are running either Ubuntu or a derivative distro such as Linux Mint & others, Puppy Linux, some Manjaro or Arch & occasionally one of the BSD variants. Rarely does anyone here mention Debian & over half the time that's because Ubuntu is a Debian derivative. If we had more Debian users on board, this matter could easily become solved. Unfortunately, we're not attracting those type of members yet & don't know when, if ever, that may be. 

Maybe if we keep this Topic alive, will be bumped in the Google charts enough to get someone familiar with the distro to respond. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users