Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computed turns on, Mouse, and keyboard havee no power and nothing on monitor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Imperialwheat

Imperialwheat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi all, so I was watching some netflix and put my computer to sleep to go eat food. When I came back the power would turn on but there was no display, no power to my mouse or keyboard that have LEDs. This is strange I thought, so first I checked my monitor, I could still pull up a menu screen and color test, plus the power light was on so I dont think my monitor is dead. Okay, so lets try a different mouse, still no power to any of those peripherals. Okay, so lets check other peripharels, the DVD drive works! Great so the computer is on at least, I'm not just hearing fans. I checked the LAN port and there is a light indicating an ethernet cable plugged in, okay so the motherboard Isn't completely dead? Maybe its just the usb ports, but that doesnt explain why theres no display either

Unplugged computer, held down power button for at least 30 seconds, still the same problem.

Alright so time to strip this computer down and give it a good dusting with compressed air, on the rebuild I only inserted one ram card, tried turning it on and same problem. Tried inserting the other RAM and still no luck. Swapped out my PSU with one I had lying around, still no luck. bleep. Okay. So lets take out the motherboard battery, put it back in after 5 minutes and still nothing!

Of course this happens when I have a paper to finish, off to the library tonight I guess. But wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to anything else I can try or what might be the problem? Could a faulty GPU also cause all of the USB ports to fail? Thats the only thing that I can think of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Try a different display and display cable. 

Also, clear the CMOS. Here is a good article on how to do so: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Imperialwheat

Imperialwheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

It is a desktop, I have already cleared the cmos and tried connecting a different display but no display and no power to mouse or keyboard still.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Do you get any post beep?

#5 Imperialwheat

Imperialwheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:11 PM

Nope

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Did you swap only one RAM stick between slots and then the other RAM stick between slots?

If you pull all the RAM, keyboard and mouse, and also pull the power cable to the hard drive do you get a post beep? 

#7 Imperialwheat

Imperialwheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

I just tried removing everything you said but no beeps...strange.

When I tested RAM I took one card out and tested it then took the other card out and put it in the other slot and turrned it on. The I took that card out and repeated the steps with the other card.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

I am out of ideas on this, sorry. I guess the next step would be to swap in a different graphics card but having no post beep is worrysome. 

#9 Imperialwheat

Imperialwheat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Why is it worrisome? What could it mean? I don't know anyone with a PC so unfortunately swapping gpus won't be something I'm capable of :'( so frustrating.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Have you ever heard a post beep? If not then a MB speaker may not be installed. These MB speakers are connected to a jumper on the MB.

No post beep can indicate a MB problem.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Can you give better specs it does help many times

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

1 user(s) are reading this topic