Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

So one sunny day, my computer decided it wants to shut down. I turned it back on and it shuts down again after a few minutes. Puzzled, I once again try to turn it on but it now seems like it doesn't have the power to do so.

I decided to give it a break and try again the next day. The pc turned on and runs just fine, but after a few minutes (Windows is Shutting Down) poof! Only once did it try to reboot itself on it's own but failed cause it's like it ran out of power.

I opened it up and fans are working, I bought compressed air and cleaned it. Didn't work. What is going on?!

Details:
Windows 8.1, 8gb ram, graphics card installed. The only thing installed was an internal Wi-Fi receiver about a month ago. Managed to scan computer with Malware Bytes, no virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

Is Windows trying to install updates?

Does it start ok in safe mode?

Faulty PSU ?

#3 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

It's not trying to install any updates no. I haven't tried booting on safe mode. Will try right away. But the pc boots just fine in normal mode too. It just shuts down after a few minutes.

#4 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

I have booted to safe mode and after some time I got convinced that it's working. I switched to normal mode and it worked just fine for hours!

Then it shut down again. It must be the PSU no? Any program I can use to check it's health? It's brand new :/ approx 6 months old.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

If you live in the EU it is almost certainly still under warranty. My advice would be to take it back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

I'll check if I could do that as I bought it online.

Could this be an issue?
My graphics card requires 400w from the PSU or something. And my psu is 430w. It worked just fine but could it be damaged or something? Is 430w enough for a 400w graphics card?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

In answer to your #6 - yes, it certainly could be.

While the maximum power draw for your video card is rated at 400W it will only hit this occasionally, but when it does you only have 30W left over for the rest of the system which is not enough. I am not an expert on PSUs but I would have thought that with that video card a PSU rated at 600W would be an acceptable minimum.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

I had this identical problem once and it had me beating my head against a wall.

Turned out that my front panel power switch button was shorting out and thus sending a shutdown signal to the power supply. Replaced the switch and no more problems. Interestingly, on that same machine a year later it started auto-rebooting at random times. After pounding some more lumps on my head, I disabled the reset button on the front panel, and no more resets. The reset button was shorting out.

You might try testing that out; disable the power button at the motherboard, then cross the two contacts on the motherboard with a flat-headed screwdriver and the computer will start up. Run it for a couple of days and see if your problem disappears. If it does, your power switch is bad.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users