Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 OS on new SSD, files and programs on old HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gtu1234

gtu1234

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Hello, there

I have just installed a clean install windows 7 on my SSD and all my programs and games are on my old HDD.I want keep my os on SSD and files,programs and games on HDD.Is there a way for programs and games work without re-install them?Like install registry and services only or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Programs make many modifications to the registry including their file locations

The only way for you to ensure that the programs work properly is to reinstall them onto the original drive even though the files are still there.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 gtu1234

gtu1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

So that's the only way?Could i install over old files?Or how could re-install while os on ssd not recognise them?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

The programs from the Old Drive have to be Reinstalled to the new SSD.

Because the SSD now is the operating System you cannot even slave the other HDD to run apps or Games.

Only personal Data can be Copied from the old to the new.

You could of Cloned the Old Drive to the SSD and swapped out the Drives to keep everything as it was before on the HDD.

But only if Used Space on HDD is Less then total size of SSD capicity.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:22 AM

As stated...cloning the old Windows partition...to the SSD...would be the simple choice.  The old hard drive could then just be used for storage, after removing the Windows partition from the old drive.

There is no reason to have anything other than Windows and installed programs (the C: partition) on the SSD.  No data files...unless you just have space to waste on the SSD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2018 - 06:24 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

You may be able to still accomplish what you want if you pull all your wanted data off the old drive then do the clone over again.  Once the second clone is done then put the data back onto the old drive, this can only be done if in fact you have enough room with some to spare on your SSD. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Macrium Reflect gives you an option to adjust your partitions, so if your attempting to move your os from a 1 tb drive, you can do that. Provided the space used for the os is not larger than the SSD. (meaning as Old Phil stated)You might have to move your video, music and pictures to another medium in order to down size your os space. Most of the time the windows os files themselves do not use more than 100gb with most software installed, Game files can be backed up onto another medium too. So you should be able to do what you need. If you have a very large back up file(s) on the 1 tb drive, you do not have to move that partition over to the SSD. Macrium Reflect will give you that option and it is free. A clean install would be the best option, then you can have a clean and shiny windows for your new SSD

Edited by Joe C, 27 February 2018 - 08:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users