Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ronniv

ronniv

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

Do I need any other antivirus program besides Windows Defender?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

There's a lot of debate around this question. A lot say that with Windows 10, Defender is enough. Others will recommend that you get a 3rd party AV. I've personally done both and have had no issues with either option. As long as you practice safe computer habits, you should be ok doing either.

Edited by null__, 26 February 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#3 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

Thank you for your assistance

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Windows Defender as implemented in Windows 10 is a very robust antivirus and security suite in general.

I always have a third-party malware scanner such as Zemana or Malwarebytes on hand to do on-demand scanning if necessary, but I haven't needed it for a very long time now.

As null___ has already said, and I have said repeatedly, safe computing habits when it comes to interacting with cyberspace will keep you far safer than any software does.  Most infections don't sneak on to your computer, but are invited in by user action.  The majority of what security suites do is to clean up messes after they're already present.  Only the user can prevent them from occurring in the first place.

Must read material, all from Quietman7, one of our BC security experts:

On security basics

Best practices for safe computing:

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Thank you.

#6 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

It depends on what kind of sites you are visiting or planning to visit, the best third-party AV-suites is, in my opinion, Kaspersky or Bitdefender :notme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users