Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Computer Output Signal (Biostar 880GU3+)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

I'n not getting an output signal to my monitor. When I boot up, should I be hearing the BIOS beeping sound from this motherboard? I am not getting it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

From the sound of it, or rather the non-sound, the problem is most likely with your computer. The simplest way to test this is to connect a different, known good, monitor to your computer and see if there is any signal. Alternatively, you could connect your monitor to another computer to make sure that the monitor is working.

Once you know you have a working monitor attached to your computer it is time to worry about the computer itself. Take the side off and see if any LEDs come on and fans turn when you power up. If none of this happens then first check that your mains electricity is getting to the PSU - check any fuses in line and the voltage at the computer end of the cable if you have a multi-meter. If you don't have a multi-meter basic ones which are sufficiently accurate are quite cheap to buy, I can readily buy one in the UK for less than £10. Your mains supply voltage will probably be 110V AC since you appear to live in the Americas.

If the mains are getting to the PSU, are there any voltages apparent in the computer itself ?  Again, use the multi-meter and look for 12 and 5V lines. If you do not appear to be getting any voltage anywhere probably your PSU has died but that is enough for one session.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

Every item of modern electronics has a "standby" voltage that is on 24/7/365.  If it gets confused or excited, the device (TV, PC, printer, etc.) won't turn on.  Unplug it from the wall, wait two minutes, plug it back in, and try it.  This fixes at least two TV's, PC's, or printers for me every month!

Yes, you should be able to hear the fans spin and the hard disk drive spin up when you turn it on.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

thanks. i do hear the fans and see the power on. i use my tv as my monitor. i have a VGA to HDMI converter. i suppose it could be that. have no way to test except getting another 1.  thanks.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Biostar says that system board has an HDMI output connector.  Why not get an HDMI cable?

Their page:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=522#specification

#6 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Biostar says that system board has an HDMI output connector.  Why not get an HDMI cable?

Their page:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=522#specification

great question. ;) hadn't seen it. thanks.

anyway, no output signal via HDMI either.

even if my SSD is bad, i should still get that BIOS screen.

#7 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

If my memory was bad, would I still get the BIOS screen?

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

Not necessarily. Try taking each stick out one at a time. Also try clearing the CMOS. Here is good tutorial for doing so.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

You really ought to buy, beg, or borrow a VGA monitor  and see what it does.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

And yes, you should still see the BIOS screen.  The memory testing; though, is worth trying. Your video is using some of it as "shared memory" and, if it has failed, poof, no video.

#11 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

You really ought to buy, beg, or borrow a VGA monitor  and see what it does.

why? I have the HDMI output and also the VGA converter to HDMI, both fail. In the past, the VGA converter worked. The odds I have 2 issues seem remote, no?

#12 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

Not necessarily. Try taking each stick out one at a time. Also try clearing the CMOS. Here is good tutorial for doing so.

Are you saying if I have 2 memory sticks, if 1 is bad, removing it may allow the other to work?

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

1) We do not know if the problem is with your TV or the PC which is why I suggested trying a , known good, VGA monitor.  I have seen several TV/monitors where one of the ports went bad.

2)  You are using the system memory for the display so, if one of the modules fails you will get no video.  The actual video chip is also part of the CPU; but, lets hope it's not that (It could be; but, that is much rarer)

#14 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

1) We do not know if the problem is with your TV or the PC which is why I suggested trying a , known good, VGA monitor.  I have seen several TV/monitors where one of the ports went bad.

2)  You are using the system memory for the display so, if one of the modules fails you will get no video.  The actual video chip is also part of the CPU; but, lets hope it's not that (It could be; but, that is much rarer)

the tv is good. I have a second computer and used the same cable and HDMI port on the TV. So that end works fine.

#15 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

That board requires an external speaker. Do you have a speaker connected to the F-Panel pins on the board?

Remove all the memory, boot it up and see if it'll beep a no memory error code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users