Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't recognize/use added RAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HotRoDDt

HotRoDDt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

I have a newly puchased ACER Aspire E15  (E5-576G-81D).  I upgraded my RAM from 8gb to 16 gb with an additional 8gb kingston stick.  However, my operating system does not recognized the newly added stick.  I downloaded SPECCY and looked at my RAM, and this separate software does see my new stick in place, but Windows does not recognize or use it.

Task Manager only shows 8gb DDR3 under the memory tab.  Window's Device Specifications screen only shows 8.00gb (7.88 usable) when the new stick is installed.

I did remove the original RAM stick, installed my new Kingston stick in the originals slot and tried to start my computer.  My keyboard lit up but my screen stayed black.  Once I replaced my original RAM, it worked fine.  Not sure if this means the issue is with my new RAM stick.

I've tried to de-select "Auto manage paging file size" under Virtual Memory in Sys Properties/Advanced/Performance options with the same result.

Not sure if it's pertinenet, but I recieved my laptop before recieving my additional RAM.  Prior to trying the RAM, I added a 1 TB Seagate Firecuda, for additional internal storage.

My specifications with photos follows:

-Acer Aspire E 15 (E-576G-81GD)
-Intel Core i7-8550u, 8th GEN 1.8GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
-GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 w/ 2gb RAM
-Storage: 256gb SSD Hitachi
-64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
-Windows 10 HOME 64-bit
-RAM(original): Kingston DDR3 8gb, PC3-12800, part#: 99U5428-081.A00LF
-RAM(added): Kingston DDR3 8gb, PC3-12800, part#: ACR16D3LS1KBGR/8G
-Mother Board: KBL Ironman_SK (U3E1)

Attached Photos (photobucket URL links): 
-picture of both RAM sticks installed (the Blue RAM is original)
-Settings, System Device Specs
-Task manager, Performance screenshot
-Speccy, CPU
-Speccy Graphics
-Speccy, MB
-Speccy, RAM
-Speccy, Summary

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

the memory specs on the website say:

Memory

DDR3L

8 GB (standard)

Up to 16 GB (maximum)

your using DDR3 not DDR3L.  DDR3L is a dual voltage memory and that could be why it's only accessing half.

you need to send your memory back and get the correct memory.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

Yes, the Kingston part is 1.5 volt (DDR3) and the original is 1.35 volt (DDR3L (Low voltage) and the system board can't supply 1.5 volts to the Kingston part.  Return it and get a DDR3L module.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 HotRoDDt

HotRoDDt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Ok, thank you.  I'm a bit confused.  I've attached a screenshot and the link to the stick that I bought.  It says DDR3L, I have a few questions if you have time to answer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089JIDUI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. is there something specific on the page that I didn't catch before I bought it?

2. is this stick advertised incorrectly.

3. is what I ordered correct, but perhaps they didn't send the right product?

Thanks again.

Attached Files

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

The part number alone shows it is different along with the voltage difference it is not a match!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

and your speccy reports is showing as 1.5v DDR3 not 1.35 DDR3L.  so the advertised description doesnt match the picture of what they sold you.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

The seller on Amazon should not have listed it as DDR3L because it is not!  If he won't do something about it, Amazon will.  The item you bought is not as described.  It is DDR3, not DDR3L:

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16S11_8.pdf

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users