Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Probook 6550b won't boot, win7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cazalban

Cazalban

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Helping a neighbor with her laptop, was running fine, then wouldn't boot.  It is a HP Probook 6550b.  When I push the power button, I hear a fan for about 10 seconds, and 3 lights, then nothing.  I have tried a hard reset (removing battery and power cord, pushing power button for 15 sec, then reinstalling battery & power cord and attempting to start.)  I have also put a win 7 disc in the cd drive, as well as a win 7 USB thumbdrive, no change.  any suggestions?  or is this laptop toast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Are you able to get to the BIOS or does the screen remain black the entire time?

#3 Cazalban

Cazalban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

no bios, remains black, getting absolutely nothing, tried hitting esc key, all fkeys

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Sometimes a bad CMOS battery will keep a computer from booting normally. 

Do the hard reset again but this time leave the battery out and only use the power brick. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Usually a powercycle will work for a computer that is dead when the power button is pushed but in your case the computer starts but shuts down almost immediately. That would indicate a serious hardware issue.

#5 Cazalban

Cazalban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

removed and reinstalled memory card and hard drive, just to make sure they were seated properly.

removed and reinstalled memory card and hard drive, just to make sure they were seated properly.

#6 Cazalban

Cazalban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

No change, still getting nothing

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

I think it's either time to take it to a good shop, or if you do not want to spend money you could do a tear down and look for anything out of the ordinary. If the battery is almost dead and the brick is not charging that could also cause the problem. If you have a multimeter check the voltage at the power brick plug.

Here is your service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03471180

It seems the 6500 series is problematic.

#8 null__

null__

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hook it up to a monitor and see if you can output anything to it. I doubt it works, but ya never know.

#9 Cazalban

Cazalban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

Tried, no go, have stripped it of usable.parts and copied all her data to a CD for her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users